Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Technical Level 7
Please note, this is a wholly grant funded opportunity.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
The Robarts Research Institute within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University has made its mission to accelerate medical discovery. Through a powerful integration of basic and clinical research, we are driving major advances that impact on many of today's most devastating diseases.
The unit’s mission is to discover and develop innovative imaging methods to understand, diagnose, treat and prevent debilitating disease using novel, state of the art MRI. This includes the evaluation of metabolism and physiology, function and dynamics in health and patient research subjects and as well models and tissue samples.
The Research Technologist manages the operations and standard operating procedures for the hyperpolarized gas (3He and 129Xe) facility including upgrades, maintenance, training and acclimatization of new users, chemical inventory and invoicing of internal and external groups. The incumbent is responsible for workstation and software development management including identifying and troubleshooting software and hardware problems, purchasing, data backups, and system upgrades. The Research Technologist provides leadership, management and support to Dr. Grace Parraga’s research program and the other staff along with clinical, scientific and industrial collaborators. The Research Technologist also assists, when required, with regulatory requirements for participant-based research, with guidance from the Clinical Research Coordinator.
- Bachelor of Science in Physics, Medical Physics, Medical Biophysics, Engineering, or Computer Science
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 2 years’ experience in a research laboratory including experience with Unix and Windows operating systems, and with Matlab
- Demonstrated proficiency in the management and administration of multiple workstations including the proven ability to troubleshoot and assess problems with hardware and software
- Extensive knowledge regarding laboratory safety, compatibility of medical devices and ability to make decisions
- Advanced knowledge of dealing with patient/subject privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrated proficiency dealing with hyper-polarizers and compatible peripheral devices and knowledgeable with operation
- Ability to compile, analyse, synthesize and transfer sizable amounts of detail/data
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to manage activities both for self and others effectively
- Advanced ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing), lead business discussions and train others
- Strong project management techniques and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Creative problem solving abilities and sound professional judgement
- Results-oriented with an ability to handle many tasks and maintain a high level of individual and team performance
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relations and partnerships with clients, peers and external stakeholders
- Self-driven, critical thinker who is highly motivated and possesses an intrinsic passion for quality
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.