POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN PSYCHIATRIC GENOMICS
The Department of Medical Genetics at the University of Alberta has an opening for a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the
area of Molecular Genetics, specifically involving genetic and pharmacogenomic studies in psychiatry. The
successful candidate will possess a relevant doctoral degree (in Psychiatric Genomics, Pharmacogenomics,
Human Genetics/Genomics, Medical Genetics, or a related discipline). Experience with genomic techniques (high
throughput genotyping using arrays) is essential. In addition, experience in techniques relevant to the validation of
such data (including but not limited to DNA sequencing, multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR), quantitative
PCR, and long-PCR) as well as in using relevant software such as primer design and bioinformatic tools is
desirable. A strong track record of refereed journal publications is desired. A high standard of communication (oral
and written) and interpersonal skills are required, with 1-3 years postdoctoral experience.
The successful candidate will be responsible for meeting research objectives as outlined in specific research
proposals. This includes:
- designing experiments in consultation with the Principal Investigator (Dr. Aitchison)
- research methods and protocols and conducting various lab experiments and procedures (accurate
sample quantification, high throughput genotyping using arrays, data extraction including script writing,
copy number analysis, real-time PCR, long-PCR, cloning, preparation of material for sequencing,
bioinformatic investigations, and statistical analyses)
In addition, the candidate will act as a resource person for the lab:
- assist in the supervision of other personnel such as technologists, students, other lab members and
- consult with researchers to learn and develop research program objectives
- compile research findings and draft scientific manuscripts based on laboratory results
- contribute to discussions regarding the purchase of equipment, consumables and specialty items for the
- contribute to the writing of research grant proposals
- write and contribute to interim and final reports for funding agencies
- meet with representatives from funding agencies and scientific collaborators
- and perform other related duties as required
The stipend for this position will be at least $40,000 per annum, commensurate with the skills and experience of
the successful candidate. This position is available immediately and the appointment is for one year renewable,
with the candidate being encouraged to apply for a relevant award at earliest opportunity.
Candidates should submit a cover letter including research interests, complete CV including a summary of
graduate thesis research and post-doctoral research, transcripts, and the names and contact information
(address, phone number and email address of three referees) by email to:
Dr. Katherine J Aitchison
780 492-4018 (+1 if outside Canada)
Position open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta offers appointments on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in
employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including
persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.