One of Canada’s leading class action law firms is seeking a Litigation Assistant with experience in Civil or Commercial Litigation. The successful candidate will be working with a collegial team of lawyers, law clerks and assistants in a fast-paced environment on exciting and topical cases.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Drafting routine correspondence, using ACL;
- Organizing and maintaining office files in DMS (iManage);
- Preparation of pleadings, affidavits, exhibits, Schedule A lists, motion records and cost outlines, following general precedents;
- Preparation of affidavits of service and commissioning affidavits;
- Coordinating with process servers for service and filing of documents in the Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court and Court of Appeal;
- Coordinating with court offices to book motions and hearings;
- Scheduling and managing calendars for client meetings, examinations for discovery, motions, hearings, and mediations; and
- Administrative tasks including opening and closing files, electronic filing of documents, scanning, docketing, preparation of accounts.
- Minimum three years of Civil or Commercial Litigation experience. Class action experience is a plus;
- Strong knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure;
- Knowledge and understanding of filing procedures in the Ontario courts, including CaseLines;
- Knowledge and understanding of e-Discovery procedures;
- Certificate or Diploma from a recognized College Legal assistant/Law clerk program;
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage priorities in a fast paced environment;
- Proficient in the use and application of Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Experience using a Document Management System;
- Strong interpersonal skills for liaising with clients, lawyers and court offices;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Attention to detail; and
- Ability to work as a team player and independently as required.
Sotos LLP welcomes applications from all qualified candidates including Indigenous peoples, persons of the LGBTQ2s+ community, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and others. Accommodations are available for candidates and employees.
Please note that this position is a hybrid position.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
We are currently operating in a hybrid environment, staff is asked to attend in person in the office at a minimum 2 days per week.
- Legal Assistant: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8