Posting #: 20-0013
Position: Associate Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Program: Clinical Support
Site: Ramsey Lake Health Centre (RLHC)
KEY FUNCTION: Ensure that Microbiology procedures and techniques are up-to-date and in accordance with established best practices and all applicable regulations, standards and/or legislation.
REPORTING: Under the general direction of the Manager, Laboratory and functional direction of the Clinical Scientist/Section Head.
1. Make recommendations that will improve efficiency, productivity and cost effectiveness of patient care services by utilizing knowledge of new and emerging technologies in Microbiology.
2. Identify best practices for novel assays that should be developed in house.
3. Work in consultation with laboratory section heads and stakeholders to identify areas for growth and improvement.
4. Collaborate in the development of business cases as required.
5. Oversee the validation and implementation of new test and analytical systems including identification and procurement of validation samples, structuring of validation protocols, development of quality control parameters for each test, staff training and orientation, Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development, and troubleshooting.
6. Assist with data compilation and analysis in accordance with established standards.
7. Facilitate test/system optimization in accordance with best practices.
8. Oversee the development, use and optimization of related informatics systems that support section needs.
9. Facilitate data mining for section priorities (i.e. Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC), research, antimicrobial stewardship, quality improvement etc.) as required.
10. Collaborate with HSNRI regarding new or ongoing research initiatives.
11. Coordinate Microbiology responsibilities in hospital-approved research initiatives and clinical trials; present findings at conferences or seminars; support the publication of results.
12. Defend methodology and results to peer reviews and management inquiries as required.
13. Teach underlying scientific principles to hospital staff and medical learners.
14. Provide continuing medical education (i.e. presentations, inservices etc.) to support the ongoing competency of laboratory staff.
15. Review and monitor departmental results to ensure reporting completeness and consistency and to identify emerging trends.
16. Assist the Section Head in the development and review of policies and procedures, improvement initiatives and quality control programs.
17. Collaborate with section staff in the identification, investigation and resolution of non-compliance issues.
18. Adhere to worker responsibilities as defined in relevant Privacy, Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and legislation, hospital policies and laboratory/section SOP’s at all times.
19. Encourage teamwork and foster a positive collaborative attitude.
20. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN’s Strategic Plan; monitor and adjust to achieve goal outcomes.
21. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
22. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
23. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
24. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a Master's of Science (MSc) or greater in relevant scientific field (e.g. Bacteriology, Immunology, Molecular Microbiology).
2. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is required.
1. Minimum five (5) years’ of relevant post graduate training/experience in Clinical Microbiology.
2. Experience working with applicable infectious disease guidelines and standards of practice (i.e. Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC), IPAC, Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) etc.) is preferred.
3. Experience with quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) assays, (Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time of flight) MALDI-TOF and informatics is preferred.
4. Training or recent experience with project management is preferred.
5. Experience working with data management software is preferred.
1. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with applicable standards, regulations and requirements (i.e. CLSI, Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH) etc.).
2. Demonstrated excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
3. Ability to prepare presentations and write articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
4. Demonstrated ability to apply research to clinical practice.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage routine correspondence, multiple tasks/projects, diversified workload and rapidly changing priorities and challenging deadlines.
6. Demonstrated training, experience or utilization of lean methodology for process improvement.
7. Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and continue improvement.
8. Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook) and patient information systems.
9. Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
10. Demonstrated discretion and maturity when handling confidential information.
11. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
12. Demonstrated ability to mentor students and support personnel.
1. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
2. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
3. Demonstrated positive work record and excellent attendance record.
4. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
5. Ability to travel between local sites.
6. Ability to use tact and discretion in dealing with health care providers and patients.
7. Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
8. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
9. Demonstrated ability to perform with minimal supervision; to prioritize duties.
10. Valid driver’s license with access to reliable vehicle.
11. Willingness to travel occasionally within Northern Ontario.
12. Demonstrated ability to work outside regular work hours as required.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position on the basis of their skill, ability, experience and qualifications as identified in the resume and completed Application Form submitted. The Hospital reserves the right to conduct a formal interview where required.
Shift: As Assigned
French Language Service Designation: Bilingualism is an Asset
Salary: $95,745.................................................$112,612.50/Annum (Under Review)
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600 hours on January 15, 2020.
HSN THANKS ALL APPLICANTS.
ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.
WE WILL NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS AFTER THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent