Pclass # F9746
Area English / Numeracy Upgrading
This position is responsible for teaching students in an assigned field of study using a diverse set of instruction methods and tools. The position develops curriculum, prepares teaching materials, provides assessments of students’ progress. It ensures the proper stewardship of college facilities, equipment and other inventories. The position is also responsible for upholding the College’s policies and procedures and for participating in meetings and events and on committees.
1. Teaches students using a diverse and systematic plan of lectures,presentations, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects.
2. Develops curr iculum and prepares teaching materials and outlines for courses including audio visual and web-related materials where appropriate.
3. Prepares, a dministers and marks papers, tests, exams and other assessments to monitor and evaluate students’ progress. Provides detailed feedback on student performance.
4. Assists and provides support to students and potential students by advising on program curricula and career decisions.
5. Provides individualized or group tutorial or remedi al instruction to students who require it.
6. Maintains effective ste wardship of classroom facilities, equipment, materials, software and tools.
7. Arranges for and supervises independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training.
8. Adheres to VCC policies and procedures including being available to students and maintaining confidentiality of student information.
9. Participates in departmental and college meetings and events. Consults with other College departments and may serve on committees concerning matters such as budgets, curriculum revision, and course and certificate or diploma requirements.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Area Hiring Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
- Recent experience in teaching, using a Deaf and hard of hearing student‐centred
approach, with content related to English prescribed curriculum targets: grammar,
vocabulary, reading, writing, and conversation.
- ASLPI (American Sign Language Proficiency Interview), Level 4 CCSD (Canadian Cultural
Society of the Deaf), or Level 8 DEAF Inc. (Deaf Empowerment Awareness Foundation,
Inc.)). Department can do a provisional assessment, but screening must be done
within three (3) months from CCSD or equivalent.
- Experience in delivering relevant course content to Deaf and hard of hearing learners
who have different educational backgrounds and various communication experiences
- Ability to teach English and other subjects using ESL (English as a Second Language)
principles and techniques
- Knowledge of English curriculum and adaptation for Deaf and hard of hearing adults
- Knowledge of Deaf education and adapting learning materials a curricula to students’
- Experience in delivering relevant course content to newcomers to Canada who may
have minimal ASL or no English
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationship with staff and students
- (Preferred) Knowledge of appropriate community resources
- (Preferred) Knowledge of and experience with Deaf and hard of hearing community
- (Preferred) Knowledge of Deaf and hard of hearing issues
- (Preferred) Masters of Education or Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Certificate or equivalent
- (Preferred) BC Provincial Instructor Diploma (ID) or be willing to pursue ID
Salary Range - Prorated based on FTE In accordance with the VCCFA Collective Agreement
Employment Group Faculty
Type of Position Term
Employment Type Part Time
Department DEAF & HARD OF HEARING ADULTS
Primary Location - This position may require you to work at all VCC locations. Broadway
Is this posting only for internal applicants? No
Desired Start Date - May be subject to change 09/20/2021
Position End Date - If temporary 01/27/2022
Additional Notes for Applicants
This is a temporary (emergency hire) position and will require a formal interview and vetting process.
Posting Open Date 10/15/2021
Posting Close Date
Is this a pooled posting? No