As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: * It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: * Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
PRIVACY: *Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 302, as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about this collection of personal information should be directed to the Human Resources & Corporate Safety Division, 125 Syndicate Ave Suite 42, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6H8, Telephone: 625-3866
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
Job Description: POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Supervisor Staffing, Development & Support Services and the day-to day direction of the Coordinator, performs confidential human resources and administrative assistance for the Human Resources & Corporate Safety Division.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: *
- Performs confidential administrative support for the division, as required.
- Performs general reception duties; maintains the employment opportunities station; receives and prepares incoming and outgoing mail for distribution.
- Processes payables, receivables, journal entries, maintains petty cash, processes vendor invoices, and prepares employee expense reimbursement forms and other Authorization for Payment forms.
- Liaises with City employees and vendors for payment inquiries, logs all legal invoices into spreadsheet software, completes credit card reconciliations for Division credit cardholders, and maintains a filing system specific to accounting records, invoices, and journal entries.
- Assists with the recruitment process by preparing job postings, advertisements, and compiling applications, using the Corporation’s job posting and applicant tracking system.
- Assists with the hiring process by extending and preparing written offers of employment, and collecting and verifying employee information related to conditional employment requirements.
- Provides assistance to applicants applying through the Corporation’s job posting and applicant tracking system and troubleshoots technical issues related to their applications, and provides hiring supervisors with basic assistance/support related to the system.
- Schedules meetings, room bookings and coordinates the union clearance process as required.
- Maintains specific filing systems, divisional databases, produces reports as required, and updates records management using the archiving process for the division.
- Participates in the development, improvement and implementation of internal administrative procedures and ensures procedural manuals are updated.
- Participates in cross training and provides back-up within the Section.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Diploma in business, human resources, or related field; and
- One year of related human resources experience; or
- Secondary school graduation and four years of related human resources experience.
- Previous accounting experience (i.e. related to payables and receivables, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve and make required decisions
- Superior customer service skills and the ability to deal with the public and staff in a courteous and tactful manner
- Must be at an intermediate skill level in keyboarding, advanced skill level in word processing, and intermediate skill level in spreadsheet software
- Self-starter with proven organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences
- Ability to exercise judgment when dealing with confidential or sensitive issues
- Experience with SAP software
- Knowledge and functions of Municipal departments, outside boards and agencies, and local community groups
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must sign and abide by Employee Confidentiality Statement
- May be required to travel to various work locations and provide own transportation
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations