This position will be located at:
St. Peter's Hospital
Hours per week:
Number of Openings:
Jun 17, 2021, 11:00:00 PM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External:
Jun 24, 2021, 10:59:00 PM
Inpatient and ambulatory Pharmacy Services are provided at the Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, Hamilton General, McMaster University Medical Centre, St. Peter’s, and West Lincoln sites. The Pharmacy Department has introduced technology to further advance services in the inpatient and ambulatory settings. The scope of Pharmacy services also includes three retail pharmacies (Cancer Centre Pharmacy, McMaster Drugstore and General Drugstore).
The Pharmacy Technician will be responsible for dispensing medications to patient care areas; preparing IV admixtures; TPN compounding; using computer technology to perform daily operations; interpreting medication orders; communicating effectively within and externally to the department.
Schedule Work Hours
days, evenings, weekends, holidays
1. Minimum 1 year related hospital pharmacy experience
2. Minimum 1 year experience in an accredited Hospital IV admixture program
3. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication, teamwork, problem-solving and organizational skills
4. Demonstrated ability to use computer order entry
5. Proven ability to follow specific instructions with a high degree of accuracy
6. Demonstrated initiative and judgment appropriate for the role. Self-directed in seeking out pharmacy issues within the healthcare team
7. Demonstrated commitment to professional development
8. Proven ability to perform the physical requirements of the position including moderate lifting and pushing carts
Candidates must have completed the following requirements related to registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists prior to the application to this posting. No candidate will be successful to this position unless the candidate has completed all of the following:
- Completion of a college level Pharmacy Technician Program (accredited college preferred)
- Registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists as a Pharmacy Technician (RPhT)
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact HR Services at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
Article 30 (k), CUPE Collective Agreement
Article 10.7 (d), ONA Collective Agreement
Article 13.01 (b) (ii), OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
Article 14.04, OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
Article 2.07 and Article 13, PIPSC RT Collective Agreement