The Research Institute of St. Joe's Hamilton is an academic and research community focused on improving the quality of life for our patients and community members, as well as those diagnosed with a diverse range of medical conditions around the world.
We function as a scientific community for the good of our community and the world we share. As faculty members of McMaster University, our world-class researchers work alongside local clinicians and students – fostering a culture of exploration, innovation and inquiry at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
Job Title: Research Lab Technician
A Research Technician is sought to join a team of scientists in the Infectious Disease Research Group within the Research Institute of St. Joes’ – Hamilton to carry out laboratory related work on various research projects. The Research Technician will be responsible for ensuring compliance with all laboratory safety protocols, as well as those defined by regulatory agencies and clinical trial specifications.
- Performs standard laboratory techniques or works under close supervision to perform more complex techniques, such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, and/or other defined laboratory techniques.
- Operates a range of laboratory equipment and scientific apparatus to carry out experiments.
- Compiles data following established procedures.
- Maintains research related records and databases, entering data according to established protocols.
- Performs basic literature research, such as searching for articles on-line or through other sources.
- May operate, adjust and maintain a variety of laboratory equipment and scientific instruments.
- May perform simple preparation of materials according to test specifications.
- Accurate data entry with great attention to detail. Validates that the correct information is entered and follows up to obtain missing or outstanding information and/or to resolve discrepancies in the information.
- Monitors and maintains inventories of supplies or equipment.
- Related College Diploma or University degree including 6 months of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to apply laboratory techniques and follow established protocols
- Molecular diagnostic experience an asset
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Literature searching skills
- Time management and scheduling skills
- Attention to detail and to ensure accuracy of work
- Organizational skills and ability to set priorities amongst a range of tasks and to meet project and task deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities
- None but on an infrequent basis may show others how to perform certain work procedures.
Hours of Work
- Rotating shifts, days, evenings, and weekends
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
All employees are required to adhere to strict COVID-19 protocols as well as take part in COVID-19 safety training.
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Application deadline: 2022-07-05
Expected start date: 2022-08-02