Do you find helping people rewarding? Do you enjoy travelling and working in a dynamic workplace? A Human Resources Administrator in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) may be the right fit for you! Human Resource Administrators provide administrative and general human resources support to all military activities.
They are employed at all CAF bases in Canada, on ships, and overseas, in support of the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, or Royal Canadian Air Force operations. They may also serve in special operation units, medical organizations, recruiting offices, schools, reserve units, NATO/UN positions, and other specialized units throughout the CAF. Opportunities are also available with embassies in countries where Canada has a military attaché.
As a Human Resources Administrator your primary duties would include providing:
- Human resource administration and services
- Pay and personnel support services
- Automated information management
- Corporate and general purpose administration
To be eligible to apply to the CAF, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen
- be at least 18 years old (17 years old with parental consent), except:
- For the Paid Education programs—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent)
- For the Primary Reserves—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent) and must be enrolled as a full-time student
- have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Québec (some jobs need higher levels of education)
Related civilian occupations
- Records Administrator
- Data Entry Supervisor
- Office Manager
- Executive Assistant
- Payroll Clerk
- Information Management Technician
Basic Military Qualification
The first stage of training is the Basic Military Qualification course, or Basic Training, held at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. A goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits maintain the CAF physical fitness standard. As a result, the training is physically demanding, but achievable.
Basic Occupational Qualification Training
Human Resources Administrators attend the Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre (CFLTC) in Borden, Ontario. Training takes approximately 14 weeks and includes:
- Maintaining a central registry
- Briefing on correspondence and regulations
- Applying military compensation and benefits
- Administering support to operations
- Maintaining pay system and payroll accounting
- Maintaining personnel records
- Providing support to personnel management
- Operating automated personnel systems
Human Resources Administrators may be offered the opportunity to develop specialized skills through formal courses and/or on-the-job training, including:
- Recruiting Administration
- Release Administration
- Deployed Operations
- Compliance and Verification
As they progress in their career, Human Resources Administrators who demonstrate the required ability and potential may be offered advanced training. Available courses include:
- Policy, compensation and benefits analysis
- Civilian Personnel Management
- Military Personnel Management
The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec with Grade 10 applied math (math 426 in Quebec) and Grade 10 (Secondaire IV) English or French. Basic training and military occupation training is required before being assigned.
Join the CAF
This position is also available on a part-time basis. To learn more about becoming a Human Resources Administrator, talk to a recruiter at a centre nearest you or call 1-800-856-8488.
Discover over 100 other job opportunities at Forces.ca.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Human Resources: 1 year (Preferred)