Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Medicine’s mission:
To our patients, we use our expertise to provide the best possible care. To our community, we are responsive to their needs including safe and timely treatment and prevention, and facilitating the development of a health community. To ourselves, we are a faculty that is never satisfied with the status quo; dedicated to continually improving patient care, creating innovative learning opportunities for all learners, and advancing knowledge through research excellence.
The Department of Medicine possesses a strong track record of academic excellence. We attract the best and brightest students, residents, and fellows, because of our excellent faculty and staff, innovative teaching methods and rich and diverse learning experiences in an environment that is supportive and nurturing. Our faculty and trainees are passionate about ensuring the consistent delivery of patient centered care, including safety and quality. We are part of a larger healthcare system that works to deliver the health solutions that people require in London and Southwestern Ontario. The Department of Medicine works closely with academic hospitals, the Southwest Local Health Integrated Network and community physicians and partners to achieve accessible and sustainable healthcare for all.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support for the Department of Medicine’s Visiting Electives Program. The Administrative Assistant will serve as a resource and point of contact for faculty members, staff, visiting students, residents, observers and other stakeholders in regards to administrative matters, answering or re-directing inquiries as appropriate. This position also provides administrative support to the Postgraduate and Undergraduate Programs.
- 2 year Community College Diploma in Office Administration or related field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 1 year of experience providing administrative support in an academic environment
- Valid Class G Driver's License
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to demonstrate patience and focus to complete detailed administrative tasks
- Ability to interact professionally with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the University community
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Intermediate proficiency required in Microsoft Office in order to prepare formal correspondence, emails, memos, type manuscripts and input departmental data into spreadsheets and databases
- Familiarity with software applications used by Western is an asset – e.g. OWL, Cascade, PeopleSoft, Mustang Market
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.