Welcome to the unexpected delight of plant-based exploration! We're the creators of a revolutionary cheese alternative that tastes, shreds, melts and stretches like traditional cheese. Today, as plant-based food grows in popularity, that spirit of innovation continues to inspire our team.
We believe in pioneering plant-based breakthroughs that delight people and planet. Our portfolio of great tasting foods provide an opportunity for everyone to gather around the table, whether you have food allergies, are flexitarian, vegan, vegetarian, or just plant-based curious!
We're one big family of food-loving Daiyans, and we're always on the lookout for people who share our passion, our vision, and our ability to make each other smile.
Our Scientist, Sensory & Consumer Research is a self-motivated and curious individual, focused on conducting research, organizing testing, and guiding development across all our categories. The successful candidate will be a sensory professional, capable of merging sensory knowledge with strong coordination and tactical execution to lead projects, design and execute sensory experiments, analyze results, and develop recommendations. This role will be responsible for providing guidance to key innovation, renovation, product and process improvement, and value engineering projects, running our internal sensory program, and advancing sensory knowledge across the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Leads and executes sensory research projects
- Constructs research plans and designs sensory experiments to fit overall project and objectives
- Conducts all phases of internal sensory and consumer testing, overseeing internal evaluations, including weekly planning activities and internal sensory test schedules
- Manages Compusense Cloud platform including troubleshooting, software feature updates and continuous improvement of platform utilization
- Provides recommendations and executes external sensory and consumer testing
- Provides sensory input and product guidance during ideation, concept refinement, and technical assessments
- Actively keeps up to date on new sensory methodologies, approaches and processes in the industry
- Leads continuous improvement initiatives by identifying opportunities and gaps observed in sensory tests and processes, and proposing improvements in sensory practices to increase accuracy and efficiency
- Develops and improves internal sensory tools, protocols and processes to enhance program
- Collects and analyzes data, runs basic statistics, synthesizes data, reports results, and makes recommendations for further testing and next steps
- Conducts new employee sensory onboarding
- Coordinates and/or leads team tastings for assigned projects
- Maintains accurate records of all technical work, as well as all documentation required for SR&ED
- Leads the development of, or revisions to, SOP's and testing methods
- Works with R&D team to run tests to measure project progress and inform next steps
- Carries out other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Sc. in related science or marketing discipline (Sensory, Food Science, Nutrition, Marketing etc.); M.Sc. an asset
- 3+ years of work experience in sensory or consumer research; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Background knowledge of sensory science
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365 and Sharepoint
- Working knowledge of Compusense and statistical analysis programs
RELATED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Project & Technical skills
- Strong knowledge of sensory/consumer test methods, techniques, and tools (hedonic, discrimination and descriptive analysis)
- Strong data analysis skills and data interpretation skills with working knowledge using Excel, statistical software, and data collection software; able to understand results and make recommendations.
- Discerns the level of vigour required for data capture to advance projects and safeguard information
- Strong critical thinking, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to write detailed technical reports and deliver clear presentations to communicate results
- Ability to stay current by researching technology and trends, and continually growing technical skills
- Actively participates in meetings and brainstorming, bringing out of the box ideas and a can-do attitude
- Strong technical project leadership and management skills
- Self-directed, accountable for delivering multiple technical project and objectives on time.
- Strong English oral and written communication, represents team and company in a professional manner
- Ability to multitask and deliver against team objectives in a complex and fast paced environment
- Excellent organizational skills, maintaining accurate records of all technical and project work
- Ability to build strong working relationship with cross-functional team, existing suppliers, vendors, and research agencies
- Constructively supports and challenges other R&D team members; provides productive feedback
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL AT DAIYA
- Emotional intelligence – you possess the ability to manage emotions, as well as seek to understand the emotions of others around you.
- Growth mindset – you find opportunities and possibilities when challenged, embrace continuous learning, and constantly strives to grow and improve.
- Effective communication – you effectively listen, assess, and adjust your communication to align your intention and impact.
- Collaboration – you work with and through others to create great results for Daiya.
- Driving results – you take the initiative to find solutions, deliver results, maintain focus, and drive accountability.
- Service excellence – you understand and serve the needs of others (Daiyans, consumers, and our communities)
- Competitive compensation
- Extended Health benefits fully paid by Daiya for your family
- 3 weeks' vacation
- Flex days
- RRSP matching your retirement contributions
- Annual personal health and wellness fund
- Fun and creative environment
- Inspiring and innovative work
- Smart and passionate teams
- Making people and the planet a healthier place
At Daiya Foods, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment, one in which employees can bring their whole selves to work everyday. We welcome and celebrate differences because we believe a multitude of perspectives fosters innovation and will help us achieve our vision.
Daiya Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and prohibits discrimination of any kind. We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, religion, marital or family status, age and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person. We endeavor to recruit, develop, and retain the best talent from a diverse candidate pool and truly believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our team members is vital to our success as a company. We trust that in applying for a role with us you value this as well!