The Society for Support to Pregnant and Parenting Teens is registered charity which has been providing accessible, responsive professional services to adolescents and their children within the Grande Prairie area for over 30 years. You would be joining an established agency that has been effective in partnering with families, community agencies, and volunteers to cultivate a breath of services with the goal of enhancing the wellbeing and developmental growth of adolescent parent families.
As a Family Support Worker you will work directly with pregnant and or parenting adolescents and their families to provide services which contribute to the development of healthy life & coping skills, enhance family functioning, improve outcomes for children and increase protective factors for all members of the family.
The successful candidate will be committed to providing nonjudgmental, family centered support services to support and educate parents toward improvements in their parenting abilities and self-sufficiency goals through group facilitation and in home support.
Why you would love working here:
- You will be joining a close knit passionate team that believes in the potential of all people
- The work is inspiring, challenging and very rewarding
- You will be encouraged and supported with ongoing learning and professional development
- Comprehensive benefit plans
- Our families, volunteers and Board members all engage within our agency voluntarily, believing in the power of support and that all families can thrive The position requires you to engage families through early intervention and family driven practices providing in home as well as group based services
As a Family Support Worker you will
- Be highly motivated, able to work independently, to work with youth and families from various backgrounds to provide flexible and responsive support to adolescent parents, their families and their children
- Compassionately use your knowledge of child development, positive discipline strategies and family dynamics to provide education (ex. parenting skills) and support services to families in their own homes.
- Provide support and information regarding options counseling, birth control use, pregnancy and pre/post-natal care.
- Work with family to conduct family assessments, develop service plans, and measure outcomes, advocacy, referrals, case management and community partnering.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with local Child & Family Services, support networks, outside agencies and community resources which allows you to be an advocate for families
- Help families connect with community resources & support networks to enhance family functioning.
- Maintain accurate client file & program documentation, record of client activities, assessments and document client outcomes
Location and Schedule:
The agency office is located in the city of Grande Prairie however work with families will take place in various locations within the service region (up to 80 km from the city), which include the office, community outreach, as well as in families home visits. The Family Support Worker is required to fill 35 hours per week. Evening and weekend work is required at times as we strive to be flexible and responsive to family needs. Family Support Workers must be prepared to travel to family homes within the service area, as well as transport clients and their children daily within the city of Grande Prairie.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Diploma or Degree in Child and Youth Care, Social Work or Human Services.
- Experience working in family intervention or a related human service field or equivalent.
- Valid First Aid / CPR Certificate
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License, Class 4 would be ideal, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
- Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training and cultural sensitivity
- A solution focused mindset, are adaptable, possess strong communication skills, and work well within a team environment
- proficient within a computerized environment
- Training in home visitation, trauma informed practice, and family development(teen and child development) would be an asset
- Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered.
**All applicants must provide a current (within 3 months) Police Information Check including vulnerable sector search, Intervention Record Check and a driving abstract summary/record with less than five demerits points must be provided prior to confirmation of employment with the agency.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been secured.
Please submit resume with cover letter via email noting subject line “Family Support Worker Application” to:
Melodie McCracken, Executive Director
Society for Support to Pregnant and Parenting Teens
9625 Prairie Road, Lions Learning Centre, Grande Prairie, Alberta, T8V 6G5
We appreciate and thank you for your application; however, we contact only those candidates who are selected for an interview.
Job Type: Full-time
- Criminal Record Check (Required)
- Driver's Licence (able to obtain Class 4) (Required)
- Child and Family Services intervention screening (Required)