eBranch and Media Librarian- Contract Position- September - December 31, 2019
The Grey Highlands Public Library is a 4 branch Library system serving a community of 10,000 in the Municipality of Grey Highlands (Grey County, ON). The library’s mission is to “engage and empower through innovative and integrated library and cultural programs, services, and information,” accomplished through a spectrum of collections, programs, spaces, and services, all purposefully and inclusively designed by and for our community in accessible spaces.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The eBranch and Media Librarian is responsible for the ongoing management, development, and innovation of eBranch services, virtual spaces and library management systems; IT including technical networks and resources, IT planning and technical training and support of Library Staff; Assists Media Production Co-ordinator with all aspects of the ongoing management and development of the innovative Grey Highlands Cultural Channel, ensuring community-focused, engaging and culturally-relevant content for public consumption for the Grey Highlands Cultural Channel and the Grey Highlands YouTube channels; attends and participates as a member of the library senior management team.
Manage and develop the Grey Highlands Public Library virtual spaces (website, social media platforms) directing library patrons to all of the collections, services and programmes of the Grey Highlands Public Library.
- Manage, enhance and expand the library’s online library service offerings and initiatives such as electronic resources (Overdrive, Ancestry, Mango, etc.), selection of vendors, product management.
- Organize and/or provide digital and technical support and training to staff
- Oversee/Develop/create promotional material related to eresources and virtual spaces.
- Act as the initial staff support for public library systems including software, hardware and ILS (Integrated Library System) system settings, upgrades and integration of resources.
- Provide assistance to staff in the day to day operations and management of the current ILS (KOHA)
- Oversee/Organize computer training/support to public including the planning and delivery of technology workshops
- Assist Media Production Coordinator with the management and development of content for the Grey Highlands Cultural Channel:
- Manage digital images, and video, including archiving and backups.
- Assist with the recording of video and still photos to capture local community and cultural narrative.
- Assist with post-production activities including editing, title and graphics creation, etc.)
- Schedule and publish multimedia content to various platforms.
- Design promotional material.
- Assist with equipment management (condition, inventory, storage, borrowing, etc.).
- Provides technology assistance (computers/tablets/ereaders) to the public.
- Work on the circulation desk as needed and provide associated services including reception, circulation, information, reference, reader’s advisory, other.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of and adhere to all applicable GHPL policies.
- Other duties/projects as assigned/directed.
Assist the CEO with, facilities management, programs for adults, grant writing, project management and other administrative matters.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position
- Library Orientation at each facility including Health and Safety, Confidentiality etc.
- Staff meetings
- Attend seminars/workshops including necessary training to stay current with technology/databases/software required to perform duties of the job
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Education and Experience:
- A master’s degree from an accredited library or information science program or equivalent education and experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies, trends and issues as they relate to public libraries and how to respond to constant changes in technology
- Web-Design and Content Management Software- Knowledge of web-based technologies, including tools and standards of web site maintenance and development and current browsers and AODA standards.
- Knowledge of KOHA ILS Open source applications an asset.
- PC/Mac hardware, software applications, operating and client server systems, LANs.
- Experience with a variety of equipment for shooting video and/or photography.
- Knowledge and experience in graphic design and related software will be an advantage.
- Ability to successfully act independently or as part of a production team.
- Knowledge of Library operations and services
- Excellent command of the English language, spoken and written
- Communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing
- Ability to communicate technical and complex information to non-technical audience both in oral and written form
- Ability to communicate with library staff and partner organizations
- May be required to work evening/weekends and must be willing to work at all branches.
- May work alone.
- Extended periods of computer use
- Extended periods of interaction with individuals
- Often works in full public view.
- May have to deal with difficult issues and/or confrontational patrons
- May be required to lift/carry boxes of books, transport courier bins from one branch to another, and assist with moving of shelves.
- Occasionally required to shovel snow from walkways and exits.
- Adheres to all library board policies and procedures
- 35 hours per week. Some evenings and Saturdays.
Communication with internal and external individuals is regular in this position. Internally, this includes: municipal employees, Board Directors, Board/Committee members and members of Council and other municipal employees. Externally, this includes: the general public, consultants, members of the media, and government representatives.
NOTE: Please include cover letter.
About the Municipality of Grey Highlands: The Municipality of Grey Highlands is located in the heart of Grey County, Ontario with a population of approximately 9500 people. Grey Highlands is near year-round outdoor activities that include skiing, hiking, camping, bicycling, fishing and climbing.
We proudly boast the natural beauty of waterfalls, the Bruce Trail, the Osprey Bluffs and the Saugeen and Beaver Rivers and encompass the "heart of the Beaver Valley" truly making Grey Highlands the place for all seasons.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $3,500.00 to $3,700.00 /month
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Driver's (Required)