Change Your Career for the Better.
RHC is a proactive Construction and Design Management firm that takes a holistic approach to the building process. From inception to occupancy, the strength and transparency of our integrated process develops smarter teams that deliver a better build, every time. We are looking for new team members that want to change the way buildings are designed and constructed.
We are proud to have been certified as a Great Place to Work® Canada and named as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for 2019, Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for 2019 and Waterloo Area’s Top Employers for 2019, and we strive to employ highly skilled individuals who both exemplify and live out our Core Values. If you want to be a part of this exciting organization, then RHC has a place for you.
Reporting to the Estimating Manager, you will develop estimates and budgets for hard bid, design/build and construction management proposals, as well as provide estimating support to construction teams. Another integral part of the Estimator position involves developing, maintaining and enhancing the estimating resources.
As an Estimator, you will play a key role in our success as you:
- Follow and consistently demonstrate Reid’s Heritage Group of Companies Core Values
- Develop estimates for hard bids, which includes: develop thorough understanding of drawings & specifications and provide analysis (pursue assistance when necessary); prepare bidders invitations; monitor feedback; issue and track RFI’s; review and distribute addendums; identify “own forces” work and complete labour & materials take-offs; prepare Division 1 cost estimates; conduct site visits; ensure multiple trade/supplier bids for each package; identify exclusions in submitted bids & allocate budgets; carry out periodic reviews of estimate with project lead or department manager prior to submission; pursue bid submission and prepare checklist for documentation; follow up on submissions; advise on cost risk areas; and prepare turnover summaries for successful projects.
- Prepare preliminary & conceptual budgets for design build and construction management projects, with use of historical data, cost database, industry cost data, and trade/supplier input. Monitor, track and document evolution of preliminary budgets into final construction budgets ensuring clear audit trail to original budget. Provide value engineering input and participate in constructability reviews with feedback on costs of construction methods.
- Employ consistent methodology in processes to ensure strengthening of RHC systems and ease of training others.
- Provide estimating support to construction teams with additional trade/supplier pricing. Ensure clarity in trade/supplier scope of work. Review details of quotes and budgets.
- Monitor industry for changes to materials & labour costs by comparing historical data and tracking notices of increases/decreases. Keep construction teams current on cost fluctuations through continuous communication.
- Monitor, study and develop statistics on crew productivity for construction activities, i.e. output rates.
- Maintain and expand RHC database by sourcing feedback from construction teams on current unit rates. Conduct analysis on successful bids to assess unit rate costs, tracking costs by date, trade and region.
- Maintain and expand trade and supplier database to ensure multiple prices can be secured on trade packages, tracking by division, region, size/capacity, date and quality level.
- Develop understanding of construction schedules and sequencing. Be able to prepare outline draft construction schedule with input from project managers. Use schedules to project Division 1 costs for project bids or budgets.
- Provide general analysis and reporting on estimates and budgets under the direction of Department Manager. Be fluent in square footage and other unit cost rates for building types, construction assemblies and construction methods.
- Archive unsuccessful bids by preparing summary of project, including competitive bids, commentary, unit cost breakdown. Add new trades/suppliers to database. Review with Department Manager. Communicate with new trades and provide feedback to build new working relationships.
- Participate in risk assessment for projects by identifying potential for costs from unclear items, reviewing drawings & specifications for unknowns, penalty clauses and scheduling or shipping issues. Work with project teams to assess and quantify potential cost risks.
- Prepare cost estimates for change orders on active projects.
- Participate in on-going learning, personal improvement, and continuous improvement in knowledge, systems and methods.
As an Estimator, you will apply your:
- Commitment to our organization’s progressive culture, including our company Core Values
- Minimum 5 years of estimating experience in ICI sectors
- Technology Diploma in Construction Engineering, or a combination of education and industry experience
- PQS Designation, considered an asset
- Familiarity and understanding of construction contracts and scheduling, and all phases of a construction project
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and MS Project, Bluebeam, Voloview and/or AutoCAD
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of the project management team
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Valid class G driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract
Our growing company offers exceptional potential for long-term career opportunity. Add your energy to ours and join the RHC team by submitting your cover letter and resume. To learn more about our company, please visit our website at www.rhcbuilds.ca.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 2020-07-10
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company Events
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Care
- Wellness Program
- Day Shift
- Monday to Friday
- ICI estimating: 5 years (Required)
- PQS Designation (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19