Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Hydro Station Manager, the Hydro Station Operator is responsible for the coordination, supervision and efficient operation of the site and its equipment. He also representsthe Company on site and is the person accountable for subcontractors. The responsibilities are as follows:
- Operate and monitor the hydro stations and ensure their regular maintenance;
- Optimize the output and production of the hydro stations with all necessary actions (screening, etc.);
- Document and inform managers of all events or situations, and respond in due time to any communication (e-mail, telephone call, paperwork, etc.) in order to ensure good communication and the efficient operation of the sites;
- Take all necessary actions for the investigation and resolution of trigger alarms generated by the hydroelectric stations to minimize downtime;
- Coordinate inspection and visits of the hydro stations;
- Fill out in clear detail all required maintenance documents (ie: mechanical maintenance reports, work orders, etc.);
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs for the power plants, the buildings, the grounds and the equipment;
- Operate heavy equipment such as crane, excavator and tractor;
- Be available 24 hours a day while on duty.
Environment, Health and Safety
- Ensure that EHS policies and procedures are efficiently applied and adhered to by all personnel and subcontractors on site;
- Take all necessary action to quickly remedy any situation or unsafe behavior presenting an immediate danger to health, safety or environment;
- Ensure safety inspections of equipment are done (pre-use and periodical inspections) and quickly declare all incidents, accidents (including near misses), all material or environmental damages, as well as events involving the public which occurred on our sites or in relation with the company;
- In collaboration with the EHS Manager ensure the follow-up and coordination of the training procedure for employees under his responsibility, making sure that each employee and subcontractor possesses the required training and abilities for each of the assigned tasks;
- Ensure that prevention measures in place (lockout, confined space permits, wearing individual protective equipment, etc.) are efficient and adhered to;
- Be a good role model by following good practices and procedures.
- “Hands-on”, self-starter personality;
- Be in good physical condition, as well as a general appreciation for the outdoors;
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong computer skills;
- Autonomous and able to learn quickly.
**On-Call 24hrs when on duty, but not required to remain on site throughout shift
(10 days in – 4 days off)**
- Experience as a Journeyman Millwright or Industrial Electrician;
- Experience with hydro plant operations, PLC’s, communications infrastructure, high-voltage transmission lines, a definite asset;
- Knowledge of hydraulics and experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings;
- Solid knowledge of and high level of adherence to HSE requirements in all activities;
- Possess an Ontario driver’s license in good standing.
Job Type: Full-time