We’re looking for a Pest Control Coordinator (1-year Term) to help manage our innovative in-house Integrated Pest Management Service. You’ll be maintaining the quality of our buildings and ensuring healthy and hygienic homes for our tenants.
About us: CCOC is a community-based, tenant- and member-directed, non-profit housing organization whose mission is to create, maintain and promote housing for low and moderate-income people. We’ve recently taken a radically different approach to Integrated Pest Management including internalizing our pest control service. We need a further candidate to help us make it as efficient and effective as possible.
About the job: The two (2) Coordinators are responsible for the administrative work of scheduling pest inspections and treatments, analyzing statistics related to pest activity across CCOC’s portfolio, and working closely with our tenants to ensure we are meeting their needs. In addition, they will apply extermination treatments for common residential pests.
What makes this position so different?
- A holistic approach to integrated pest management, including root cause analysis and treatment
- Our commitment to using advanced techniques and materials as well as providing the opportunity for continuous skill updating
- A mix of in office and in unit work
- Absolutely no sales required
- A “do it right, not quick” approach, with no impossible “splash and dash” scheduling
- A commitment to support our technicians and our tenants, including with prep issues
- An organization that believes in developing its staff and invests in their future
Are you the right fit for our team? Our ideal candidate has related work experience, and a G class license. Candidates must have a valid Ontario pesticide applicator license (structural exterminations), or the ability to obtain one within two months of hire. Experience in affordable housing is also considered an asset.
You’re the type of person who takes satisfaction in knowing that you help improve the quality of people’s lives and your desire is to have the best pest control record in our industry.
Does this sound like you? Apply to be our next Pest Control Coordinator today!
Compensation: Starting wage between $45,340 and $53,209 based on a 35-hour work week. Salary commensurate based on experienced and qualifications. The maximum compensation for this position is $61,078 per year.
Term: 1-year assignment (Leave coverage) with possibility of extension.
Benefits: Employee and Family Assistance Plan (EFAP); and generous time-off from day one. Group Insurance and Supplementary Medical Plan (dental/eyewear) after six (6) months of employment.
Closing date: August 24, 2022 3:00 p.m. We will be reviewing applications as they come in.
It is CCOC’s goal to be an inclusive organization and we are dedicated to building a
workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. We,
therefore, actively seek to recruit candidates who are Indigenous, Black, Persons of
Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQIA2+ community, persons with disabilities and women. Preference will be given to candidates with skills in additional languages, and candidates with personal or professional experience with marginalized communities.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Pest Control Coordinator
Reports To: Building Standards Manager
Department: Facilities Management Department
Summary: The Pest Control Coordinator is responsible for scheduling pest inspections and treatments. They perform tenant outreach to raise awareness of pest prevention measures, and proper treatment preparation. The Pest Control Coordinator works in collaboration with CCOC staff, community support services, and contractors as needed to ensure extermination efforts are effective and efficient. The Coordinator will be expected to administer the integrated pest management approach, conduct inspection visits and where appropriate administer treatments either personally or with contractors.
Additionally, the Pest Control Coordinator tracks & analyzes pest control activities across CCOC’s portfolio, with the objective of sustaining, and improving, treatment strategies.
Responsibilities (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Organizes pest control efforts within CCOC by:
- Coordinating & scheduling inspection and treatment appointments;
- Advising tenants of preparation and prevention techniques through written and oral communication;
- Working with vulnerable populations to ensure their needs are met;
- Following up with all involved parties during the extermination process, from initial inspection to confirmed resolution;
- Keeping detailed records of all appointments and tenant communications;
- Ability to adapt quickly by cancelling or rescheduling appointments on very short notice and informing contractors and tenants of any changes;
- Liaising with contractors regarding needs required in tenants’ homes, to ensure successful treatments.
- Practices Integrative Pest Management principles by:
- Working with all departments to ensure the prevention and resolution of pest issues;
- Keeping staff, contractors, tenants, and other stakeholders apprised of ongoing pest issues;
- Conducting inspections and investigations as needed to identify problem areas, and determine root causes for infestations;
- Working with exterminators to develop and implement viable containment & elimination strategies;
- Creating and maintaining statistics related to CCOC’s pest control activities.
- Assists with other functions in support of the Building Standards working group as needed. Performs other duties as requested by the Building Standards Manager, Director of Facilities Management, and the Executive Director.
- This position supports the work of Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation, Centretown Citizens Housing Co-operative and Cahdco (Centretown Affordable Housing Development Corporation).
Education and Experience
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent
- 3 years’ related work experience working with the public (essential)\*
- Valid Ontario exterminator’s license (Structural)
- Strong Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong written & oral skills in English
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with good customer service sense.
- Working knowledge of MS office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Valid “G” driver’s license, and insurable on corporate vehicle.
- \*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated requirements
- Fluency in French and/or other language(s)
- Experience in rental housing, property management, or pest control
- Familiarity with property management practices
- Work experience in a cross-cultural environment
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development related to property management and pest control
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: $46,000.00-$56,000.00 per year
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off
Vaccination requirement, masks required.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (required)
- Customer relationship management: 3 years (required)
- Facilities maintenance: 1 year (preferred)
- Pesticide Exterminator license (preferred)
Application deadline: 2022-08-24