Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry provides outstanding education within a research-intensive, distributed learning environment where tomorrow’s physicians, dentists and health researchers and other scholars learn to be socially responsible leaders in the advancement of human health. The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is the largest Faculty on campus and employs over 2,000 part time and full time faculty and over 1,000 staff.
Information Services (IS) provides high quality Information Technology and Management services to the School of Medicine & Dentistry in support of the School’s mission.
The Director of Information Services provides strategic and operational leadership and oversight in the direction, planning, development, and implementation of Technology activities aligned with strategic objectives of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. The Director will work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
- Honours Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Administration with technology as a core component preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 8 years' progressive experience in Information Technology or Information Systems
- 3 years' experience in a leadership role managing and/or directing within the Technology field
- 5 years' experience in a leadership role managing and/or directing within the Technology field in a Medical School environment is preferred
- Advanced knowledge and ability in technology infrastructure strategic planning and development, project management as well as policy development
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of modern technologies including networks, operating systems, web platforms/services, hardware, software, protocols and standards
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of educational technologies especially in a distributed environment including video/web/desktop conferencing technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of application development and information management including relational databases
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to develop shared vision to lead employees to excellence
- Demonstrated experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management
- Strong knowledge of business theory, business processes, management, budgeting, and operations management
- Demonstrated ability to leverage technology to solve business issues
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of the organization
- Well-developed presentation skills including the ability to convey complex ideas and concepts in business friendly language
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks with an eye to consistently producing high-quality work and meeting deadlines in a demanding and complex environment
- Results-oriented with an ability to maintain a high level of individual and team performance in a collaborative environment
- Creative problem-solving skills and sound professional judgement, especially regarding confidential/sensitive matters
Please note, successful applicants may be required to produce a current police information record check(s) from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.