Position Title Custodian (Weekends)
Department/Unit Facilities Management
Posting Number FM33-20
Employee Group NSGEU Local 99
Position Type Term
Duration of Contract (if applicable)
Employment Type Full Time
Full-time Equivalency (FTE) 1.0
Rate $16.96 per hour
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,800 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that’s celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Reporting to Environmental Services supervisors, Custodians are responsible for performing cleaning and related duties for all assigned University buildings. Areas of responsibility include classrooms, laboratories, clinics, offices, lounges, washrooms, hallways, stairwells, entrances and other designated building spaces, as required.
- Dusts horizontal and vertical surfaces
- Sweeps/dry-mops and wet-mops floors and stairways using dust mops, tools, buckets, wringers, wet mops and automatic floor machines, as required
- Vacuums mats and carpeted areas
- Cleans and disinfects washroom surfaces and replenishes paper, plastic, and soap supplies
- Removes refuse from domestic size containers and transfers bagged or loose waste to exterior dumpsters and waste holding sites
- Transfers recyclables/organic waste to designated holding sites
- Cleans glass and polishes doors and partitions
- Strips and waxes floors and baseboards using appropriate equipment
- Washes walls and ceilings (using ladders), as necessary
- Arranges furniture (event set-ups) in designated areas
- Clears building entrances (exterior steps and landings) of snow, ice, litter and other debris, as required
- Replaces light bulbs, as required
- Maintains a clean work environment
- Performs other duties as required
This position is physically demanding. Extensive kneeling, bending, standing and squatting required.
- Previous recent and related experience is required
- Ability to take direction and work with minimal supervision
- Reliable and punctual
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Must be willing and able to work overtime, as required
- General safety and WHMIS training an asset
Campus Pool Crew
Bargaining unit employees are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate and will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Date 07/05/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant