Are you looking to gain experience in a senior role?
* This position is for an immediate start. Kindly read through the job description duties prior to application. Serious inquiries only. Please note that this role requires 1 day on-site 1 time per month for a minimum of 1 hour or phone conferences in lieu of onsite visit.
STEM Montessori Academy of Canada (SMAC) will be a regional STEM program open to all students with the mission to deliver top-notch STEM literacy and application. The STEM program will educate students from preschool to high school. SMAC will specialize in an advanced, bar-none STEM-based educational curriculum that emphasizes the interconnected subject areas of science, technology, engineering, and math.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing the organization's HR, helping and creating organizational tasks and programs in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the teachers.
Reporting to the Executive Board, serving as a member of the Management Team along with the Executive Director, Program Director and Development Director, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's financial functions.
This position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee fundraising initiatives, planning, systems, and controls.
- Development of individual programs.
- Organization of fiscal documents.
- Regular meetings with Executive Director around strategic planning.
- Supervision of the communications team and team effectiveness on a weekly basis.
- Improve the operational systems, processes, and policies in support of organizations mission -- specifically, support better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organizational planning.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of support services and volunteers (Teachers, Board operations, HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions.
- Work and plan with the admissions team the admissions strategies for our 3 new programs.
- Ensure our weekly sub-committees are running as scheduled and on time.
- Manage functions.
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of support services through improvements to each function (HR, IT, Finance) as well as coordination and communication between functions.
- Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence.
- Providing consulting services on matters related to fundraising, tax and insurance questions, and business structure and growth.
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team.
- Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing etc.
- Oversee organizational policies and implementation.
- Commitment to education
- At least 4 years experience in Operations Management or equivalent experience
- Strong background and work experience in Development
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook, and access
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Knowledge of government contract management and knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Knowledge of compliance implications of non-profit status
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, community environment
- Excellent people manager
- Collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
- Delegate responsibilities effectively
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
We are asking all candidates for this role commit to a 6 month term.
What’s in it for you?
- Gain the ability to gain experience as an Operations Director / VP of Operations
- Learn hands-on strategies that will prove to be invaluable in the Operations Management field
- Flexible hours
- Travel compensation where required
- Monetary honorariums based on performance, time served, and attendance
- Job reference letter or volunteer hours certificate
SMAC is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome and encourage applications from all religious backgrounds, persons of color, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, and others who can contribute to the diversification of our community. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and a cover letter.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer position with travel compensation where required.
Job Types: Part-time, Volunteer
- Operations Management: 1 year (Preferred)