SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Clinical Lead (AL), the Residential Care Aide performs routine functions involved in the provision of holistic quality resident and tenant care. Duties are performed in accordance with established policies and procedures and in a manner which respects the uniqueness, dignity, worth, need for self-respect and self-determination of the individual, all in ways which promote maximum personal and functional independence.
Include but not limited to;
1. Provides holistic personal care to residents/tenants, ensuring that the residents’/tenants’ activities of daily living needs are met as per policy and procedures. e.g. personal hygiene, oral care, skin care, toileting, bathing, nail care, dressing, grooming and activation.
2. Provides residents with nutritional assistance. e.g. meals, nourishment and tray service and assisting residents to eat as needed. Assisting residents to and from dining areas in accordance with meal service schedules. Report any appetite/fluid intake changes or concerns immediately to the Nurse.
3. Observes and reports any changes in resident’s/tenant’s functional and cognitive behaviour to the Nurse.
4. Transfers residents in/out of bed, to/from wheelchair, toilet and chair using one or two person transfers or mechanical lifts as per the residents care plan.
5. Assists with the admission, transfer and discharge of residents.
6. Encourages and assists residents/tenants to participate in social, physical, spiritual and recreational activities.
7. Responds to resident, tenant and building emergencies if necessary.
8. Maintains a clean, safe, homelike environment for residents/tenants and staff. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment immediately.
9. Ensures care equipment and supplies are used and stored in safe and efficient manners.
10. Under the direction of the RN or LPN assists with nursing care such as non-sterile dressings, enemas, suppositories, collection of specimens or skin care treatments.
11. Ensures residents personal items are marked and handled and stored properly. Processing of soiled personal clothing as per policy and procedures. Removing/changing soiled linens.
12. May be responsible for some or all the tasks related to laundering duties such as sort / wash / dry / fold / hang / return to storage or resident/tenant room bed linens and labeling residents/tenants linens.
13. Ensures that resident/tenant rights are maintained and respected, which includes confidentiality.
14. Answers call bells promptly and responds appropriately to resident/tenant requests.
15. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational inservices.
16. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision-making.
17. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Graduate from a recognized Care Aide Program.
2. Previous experience in a long term care facility preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in the English language.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Must be in good health and free from communicable diseases, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand and walking as required to perform the duties of the position.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $18.92 to $19.70 /hour
- assisted living care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Care Aide (Required)
- BC Care Aide Registration (Required)