Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department.
We are also proud to be named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2022!
Reporting to the Manager, you will be part of a busy department that provides the highest quality of portering services throughout the hospital. Your main responsibility will be for the delivery and collection of medical equipment, mail delivery and collection, and the collection of soiled linen. At times you may also be responsible for transporting patients, patient-related equipment, patient furniture, medical equipment, medical/surgical supplies, supply/DDS carts, patient charts, medication orders, and specimens. Other specific responsibilities are: responding to Code Blue. You may be scheduled at the Birchmount or General hospitals based on departmental needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- High School Diploma
- Demonstrates ability to read, write, speak and follow directions in English
- Demonstrates ability to perform the physical work required for portering tasks involving walking, pushing, pulling and heavy equipment lifting
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Demonstrates excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, customer service and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Strong work ethic and commitment is required
- Demonstrated high standards of work outputs
- Highly punctual
- Demonstrated professionalism and reliability
- Previous hospital experience in a portering system
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following SHNCareers on Twitter and on Instagram .