Legal Aid Ontario employees are committed to making a difference in the lives of our clients.
As an integral partner in the Justice system, working at Legal Aid Ontario is more than just a job. It's an opportunity to help people who need it the most; to ensure each client receives the access to justice afforded to them under the law.
If you are looking for a new challenge in your already meaningful career with a team dedicated to justice, and innovation in a flexible and supportive work environment consider this opportunity below.
As a Sr. Web Developer you will produce scalable software solutions. Providing front-end and back-end technical expertise and assistance in the design, planning, development, implementation, and maintenance of corporate web applications, content management systems / databases, web portals and their surrounding architecture.
You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment
This position does allow for a flexible remote work arrangement but will require the successful candidate to attend the Provincial office in Toronto during the training period and for preplanned meeting throughout the contract. This is a union position.
Reporting to: IT Application / Development manager, IT
- Work with IT projects, development and business teams to ideate web-based solutions
- Define front-end framework(s), UX style guides, and user flows to drive efficiency and consistency in the user experience.
- Design client-side and server-side architecture and produces web application design solutions.
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design;
- Provides design and hands on development of responsive web applications, interfaces and web portal, write effective APIs.
- Expert-level understanding of responsive design and best practices
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Configures and maintains all web application support and production environments, which involves ensuring all source code and configuration files are versioned in various source code libraries, along with ensuring web release packages are accurately archived / documented.
- Write technical documentation
- Performs additional technical tasks related to this role as required.
- Resolves issues that require a cross-functional solution.
- Resolves complex interrelated applications/database/operating systems/hardware problems.
Required skills & experience
5 years of web development experience at a senior level is required, with proven experience as a full stack developer or similar role
- Familiarity with common stacks
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
- Hands-on experience with web services (REST, SOAP),
- Familiarity with Open Source web application and content management frameworks, WordPress, WordPress APIs, and Drupal is an asset.
- Experience or willingness to learn and use software tools version control systems, Team Foundation server, and Gitlab.
- Familiarity with Scrum/Agile process a plus.
- Experienced with IIS and Apache Tomcat web servers.
- Knowledge of web accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0) and testing tools.
- Strong knowledge of Web Architecture environment configuration and each layer.
- Experience working in a fully or partially remote company
- Ambitious, efficient and stable under tight deadlines and competing priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to periodically work during non-core business hours.
- University degree in computer science or working experience.
- Big data and Machine learning knowledge and experience is an asset.
- Familiarity of Sharepoint on-premises and online, including roles, permissions, infrastructure design, designer, workflows and is an asset.
- Eligible to work in Ontario/Canada.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
This position is collectively represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and the successful incumbent will be governed by the provisions of a collective agreement and subject to union dues.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on Njoyn. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
First time applying to LAO? You will need to create a profile AND then apply for the position.
Already have an Njoyn account? Just sign in and select "my jobs" to apply.
Once you have successfully applied you will receive a confirmation email.
Trouble applying? For telephone support please call 1-877-427-7717.
Legal Aid Ontario values integrity, respect, responsiveness, excellence, independence, accountability, openness and consistency. Our recruitment process reflects our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Legal Aid Ontario encourages applicants from equity seeking groups, including but not limited to individuals who are First Nations, Inuit or Metis decent, persons with disabilities, members of racialized communities and women.
- Work from home opportunities
- Extended health care
- Employee assistance programs
Reference ID: J0919-0266
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $77,213.58 to $89,511.70 /year
- Web Development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19