Reporting to the Foreman, the Labourer is responsible for providing a physical labour support during all phases of construction and production. The Labourer provides a broad range of support in areas, such as, hand work, moving materials, clearing terrain, site preparation, shoveling and basic equipment operation.
The responsibilities of the Paving Labourer include, but are not limited to:
· Load, unload and move construction materials around the worksite.
· Manually remove large rocks and debris turned up by graders and other heavy equipment, ensuring all revealed rocks and debris are clear before equipment makes further passes.
· Execute traffic control plans by placing, removing, covering and uncovering traffic control signs, cones, barricades and other traffic control devices. Direct traffic when necessary.
· Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment and movement of materials. Assist in the installation of culverts to drain water and/or use a generator and pump to remove rain water from ditches on the construction site.
· Using a rake or shovel, spread gravel and other construction materials over road surfaces, building or decreasing slopes or leveling asphalt to fine grade specifications.
· Shoveling test holes by locating markers/flags and quarantine any exposed pipes. Mark test holes with stakes, paint or ribbon.
· Ensure worksite is organized and free of clutter, rubble and garbage.
· Shovel asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compact mix using rakes and hand tampers
· Operate equipment, such as pneumatic hammers, vibrators, tampers, and skid steer when needed.
· Other General Labour and construction related duties as required.
· Must ensure a solid understanding of, and comply with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics.
· Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
· Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
· Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
· Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the wellbeing of others.
· Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
· Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
· Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
· Class 5 Drivers License or equivalent required.
· Entry level position
· Basic knowledge of construction materials and tools.
· Interpersonal skills
· Time Management
· Demonstrate professionalism
· Accomplish goals in a team environment
· Attention to detail
· High energy, and ability to manage stress
· Flexible and adaptive to change
· Out of town travel is required.
· Overtime as required.
· Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
· Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS on a regular basis.
· Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
· Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
· Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements and arrive for work fit for duty.
· Alternative shifts are required (Nights/Days/Weekends)
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $14.00-$18.00 per hour
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- construction/paving: 1 year (Preferred)