Do you have a passion for helping others discover a full life at home and in community using a holistic approach?
Are you interested in supporting someone to live a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise, good nutrition and the pursuit of personal interests that make life fulfilling?
Can you see potential in people and understand deeply what a person really wants in their life?
If this sounds like you, here is how you fit in:
A caring, bright, sensitive young man in his twenties, who lives in Oshawa, is looking to engage a creative, committed, health conscious support assistant.
You will support him in his typical daily routine at home and in his involvement in the community. This includes the opportunity to support him to explore his current interests and discover new ones!
Direct support to this charming young man will require curiosity, compassion, thoughtfulness and understanding of bio-medical health and wellness issues and approaches to healing.
Your availability is required for:
1) Alternate weekends: Saturday and Sunday support between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
2) Weekday support from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Depending on your availability, hours can range from 20-30 hours per week. Please indicate your availability when applying.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to think quickly and make sound decisions in a calm and peaceful manner
- Non-smoker is a must
- Ability to adjust support approach flexibly, as required
- Excellent command of communication- including awareness of body language, deep listening, with the ability to flow with another person’s energy
- Physical ability to move the equivalent of a 150 pound sand bag
- Commitment to respectful, strength based person-centered approaches
- Commitment to holistic health, wellness and fitness
- Passion for learning
- Comfortable with personal care
- Ability to work collaboratively with his family and support team
- Education and experience in Health and/or Behavioural Sciences or related field
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Valid Ontario “G” Class Driver’s License
- Clear Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Services Sector
- Hobbies such as weight training, calisthenics, carpentry, woodworking, painting, other
- Knowledge of seizures and seizure stages, and related care
Only suitable candidates will be contacted via Indeed.
**Please note that you will be hired directly with the family and will not be considered an employee of the Durham Association for Family Resources and Support**
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $19.00 /hour