WHO IS A HOUSING CASE MANAGER?
The Housing Case Manager is responsible for connecting with clients that are homeless or at risk of homelessness and providing one-on-one support for client-defined goals that include: securing and maintaining housing, accessing income supports, health referral and advocacy, social connection, life skills development, employment and education support. Working with program participants and community partners, the CMHA Kelowna Case Manager will support individuals vulnerable to COVID-19 in finding permanent housing and maintaining their tenancy, knowing their rights and responsibilities as a tenant, as well as being a good neighbour. This includes individuals in shelter, and those currently in hotels in the community. As we move towards March 31, 2021, the Case Manager will develop transition plans and connect individuals to appropriate community resources and move them into different streams of service as the emergency COVID-19 response winds down. This role is temporary, starting in early June and ending March 31, 2021.
WHAT DOES A HOUSING CASE MANAGER DO?
- Develop relationships with landlords and provide informal landlord/tenant mediation when required.
- Keep current on rental vacancies in the community.
- Assist people who are in need of support services to find and maintain their housing.
- Foster and maintain excellent collaborative relationships with health and social service professionals addressing clients’ outstanding needs.
- Connect clients to income supports to which they are entitled: Income Assistance, Persons With Disability (PWD), Canada Pension Plan disability benefits (CPP), GST rebates, income tax rebates, Shelter Aid for Elderly Residents (SAFER) and advocacy with income assistance personnel
- Liaise with community agencies and businesses to fulfill program needs and ensure a smooth flow of information and resources.
- Provide appropriate information and referrals to appropriate agencies.
- Provide an ethical, efficient and therapeutic approach to dealing with crisis intervention in a timely manner.
- Provide safe care to the client in potentially dangerous situations.
- Prepare referral letters and offer referral information to client.
- Maintain files, case notes and daily statistics.
- Maintain timely statistics regarding contacts and activities.
- Meet regularly with Homelessness Services Manager.
- Update information as required to assist other agencies.
- Transport clients when appropriate.
- Other Duties as Required.
YOUR STRENGTHS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in a Social Services or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
- Demonstrated skill in supporting individuals experiencing homelessness and a proven track record in providing quality, evidence-based services;
- Excellent computer literacy skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of health and social service systems with understanding of the complexity of the income assistance system;
- Demonstrated experience working with people experiencing homelessness, including those with serious mental illness and/or addictions and complex health and social issues;
- Demonstrated experience providing mediation/conflict resolution;
- Demonstrated negotiation/communication skills;
- An ability to manage a flexible work schedule;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle for business purposes and acquire liability insurance;
- Current first aid certification.
WHO IS CHMA…?
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are looking for someone who shares our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Like what you hear...fantastic, check us out: https://cmhakelowna.com/
CMHA KELOWNA OFFERS YOU…
- A competitive salary
- A work life balance that actually works with you
- A culture that embodies ‘walk the talk’ form our Leadership Team
- As a non-profit, we definitely do NOT have foosball and free snacks, but what we DO have, is the ability to empower our teams, be a part of something bigger...and learning and growing in an organization that fosters transparency and trust.
To apply for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to John West, HR Coordinator.
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates and those legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.
Contract length: 9.5 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $21.94 /hour
CMHA Kelowna takes the safety of our staff and residents very seriously. We are providing all necessary PPE and taking all necessary precautions as outlined by the Interior Health Authority and BC Housing.
- Case Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)