Position: Senior Full Stack Developer
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Toronto, ON
Postmedia is the largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers in Canada, representing some of the country’s oldest and best known media brands. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams are bringing engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it. This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences.
At Postmedia, we value open communication between our employees and managers. Our mission is to ensure that our employees have the abilities and aspirations to meet business requirements in alignment with our company values. To support the continuous growth of our Postmedia expansion, we are always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our fast growing team!
Postmedia is looking for a full-time Senior Full Stack Developer to help us reshape digital media in Canada. Based in our Toronto office, you will mentor teams of web and mobile developers to build and constantly improve news sites like the National Post, the Ottawa Citizen and the Montreal Gazette. Our team tends to lean towards the back end, but we are a full-stack group. We are a small team with a BIG impact: high speed and autonomy of a start-up.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll create highly reliable APIs that share content with our websites and partners
- You’ll build and optimize our new website platform (Python/Django)
- You’ll mentor developers across a wide range of skill sets on best practices in building and maintaining scalable software solutions
- You’ll design systems that can handle “web-scale” traffic and data throughput
- You’ll champion the code review process and a constant learning environment
- You’ll work hand-in-hand with DevOps to ship your code to production using Continuous Integration and Deployment pipelines
- You will work in a collaborative team environment with highly skilled specialists in many areas, including media, distributed systems, AWS, service-oriented architecture, quality analysis
What you've done:
- You have proven experience mentoring developers and building software teams
- You have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- You have at least 4+ years building large-scale websites and content distribution systems
- You have experience working in an Agile software development environment
- You have a degree in computer science, web development or equivalent work experience
- You have experience writing clean, testable code
- You are highly motivated and self-directed with excellent time management
- You have a deep understanding of unit testing, and a strong interest in automation
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Experience with MongoDB and/or Elasticsearch
- Proficiency in GIT
Good to have:
- Experience with Ansible, Chef or Docker
- Experience with AWS and Jenkins
If you are interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter and resume.
Application Deadline: Open until Position Filled
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Job Type: Full-time