The Legislative Counsel Office is responsible for drafting government bills, regulations and Orders in Council. The office also works with the Queen’s Printer to make the laws of Alberta available to the public.
The Alberta Legislative Counsel Office is looking for two self-motivated, energetic individuals with demonstrated leadership skills who will use their excellent English language writing ability to draft high quality Government Bills for introduction in the Legislative Assembly and to draft Regulations and Orders in Council for Government. You will provide advice to the Government and Crown agencies on the development of legislation and regulatory policies.
Intellectual inquiry, problem-solving and innovative thinking, combined with precision and thoroughness, is required in this position. Effective communication and interpersonal skills are essential to your success in this role, as you must understand your client's policy goals and be able to express them in a legislative framework that the clients can understand and explain to others. The ability to work both independently and collaboratively will ensure you are successful in meeting the demands of this position.
Reporting to the Chief Legislative Counsel, you will assist the Alberta Government and its Ministries in achieving their legislative objectives by drafting complex bills and regulations in accordance with Legislative Counsel Office standards and performing related legal services.
This position will ensure client Ministries’ policy objectives are met by:
- Providing legal and legislative advice and opinions on legislative proposals made by ministries;
- Advising ministry officials on their legislative proposals and assisting them in achieving their policy goals through legislation where appropriate;
- Providing impartial, high-quality legislative drafting services to the government;
- Drafting regulations in a timely and effective manner in accordance with drafting standards.
- Responding to client ministries’ concerns and questions regarding the making, drafting , and filing of regulations.
The key competencies we are looking for include:
- a strong client focus;
- excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills;
- strong research, verbal and writing communication skills;
- refined drafting skills;
- high flexibility and the ability to work independently and in a team environment