The Cree Nation of Nemaska (CNN) is committed to providing high quality programs and services to its community members while respecting and promoting Cree Culture and values. Located on the shores of the beautiful Lake Champion, it offers all of the modern amenities including a sports complex, a community pool, an airport, road access, restaurants, grocery store and more.
The CNN is currently looking for a Controller with the knowledge and skills to resolve complex financial issues and to assist the Treasurer in the auditing and budget management processes, as well as developing and implementing financial controls.
The incumbent will be responsible for assisting the Treasurer with all activities related to managing the budget and audit cycles, financial reporting, the development and management of risk mitigation strategies, ensuring financial accuracy and compliance, as well as providing expertise to inform the updating and implementation of financial policies within the Band. In order to do this, the Controller will:
- Develop internal control procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and, in collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, ensure that they are implemented and followed.
- Conduct financial investigations and alert the Treasurer about potential issues.
- Assist auditors in the compilation of the annual financial statements; perform financial analysis as required by auditors. Conduct and oversee internal audit file preparation.
- Prepare the General Administrative budget for submission to the Treasurer. Ensure that the Chart of Accounts is properly and consistently applied.
- Assist departments in the annual budgeting process. Recommend corrective actions and revise budgets when necessary.
- Organize the accounting system so as to best manage financial files.
- Provide accounting direction on all accounting processes including the processing of payroll and benefits, accounts payable, accounts receivable, taxes, and all related functions.
- Maintain an up to date inventory of all capital assets.
- Ensure a safeguard of capital assets in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepare cash flow statements to determine future cash requirements.
- Prepare financial forecast statements to evaluate the financial standing of the Band.
- Implement, monitor and control procurement practices to ensure that expenditures and commitments are made in accordance with established procedures. Establish, implement and monitor cash management practices.
- Ensure the proper stewardship of valuable documents, confidential files and other records.
- Maintain accurate accounting and financial records in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices. Analyse current and past operations to determine trends.
- Identify, analyze and organize policies and procedures for review, reinforcement and/or development.
- A Bachelor’s Degree specialized in Accounting or a related field and an accounting title (CA, CPA) is necessary
- 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in finance and supervision
- Fluency in English is required, fluency in Cree and in French is an asset
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Customer focused and service oriented with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong coaching skills
- Demonstrated strong ethics
- Ability to work following precise methodologies and keep information confidential
- Strong knowledge of ACCPAC for Windows software, computers and Microsoft Office
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- Health insurance and generous vacation and leaves
- Housing allocation and a northern allowance
- A typical office environment
- The regular schedule is Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with one hour off for lunch.
- Occasional overtime may be required, as well as attendance at odd hours and weekends, especially during month-end and year-end periods.
Job Type: Permanent
- Accounting and finance: 5 years (Required)
- Baccalauréat universitaire (Required)
- CPA (Required)
- English (Required)