Join our team. We want you!
Our mission is to serve children, youth, and families with accessible services throughout Northumberland County. We excel in programs and services that encourage mental wellness and positive growth, counselling, skills building, and restorative practices to ensure that children and youth are supported to reach their fullest potential. Last year we positively impacted the lives of over 1,000 clients in Northumberland County with the provision of over 31 programs and services. Join us to help make a difference in our community!
We’re looking for a Child & Youth Counsellor - Contract Position
Our vision: All children and youth have the opportunity to grow to their fullest potential. Their success is our priority.
Purpose of Position
The Child and Youth Counsellor supports the programs and services of Rebound by conducting one-to-one supportive frontline service, single-session therapy, and facilitating skills-building groups in person or via virtual platforms. This position provides one-to-one services as part of the Youth Mental Health Supportive Services (YMHSS) Team, conducting brief, mental health skills-building and counselling sessions which help youth develop emotional regulation, social, and life skills. The Child and Youth Counsellor also facilitates social skills, self-esteem, emotion regulation, and parenting group programming, aiding in the development, implementation, and evaluation of these programs.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide brief mental health supportive service, including Single Session Counselling using a narrative therapy lens.
- Work in conjunction with community partners to offer streamlined, efficient mental healthcare services to children and their families.
- Work with an interdisciplinary and community-based team of clinicians to contribute to a continuum of mental health care for Northumberland County.
- Act as advocate and liaison for eligible youth and/or their families in relation to accessing supports and programming in the community.
- Facilitate social skills and emotion regulation programming at Rebound, in schools and in the community across Northumberland.
- Implement evaluation tools for effective programming and monitoring of outcomes.
- Implement service plans as directed by Mental Health Supportive Services Supervisor which may include: specific, short term support and follow-up, including the use of cognitive-behavioural approaches, narrative therapy, goal setting, problem solving and helping define priorities as necessary; supportive discussions with youth and families/caregivers, and addressing service options (e.g. mental health, recreation, health, education, etc).
- Other duties as required by Executive Director.
- Flexibility in work hours, including ability to work evenings for purposes of front desk and program monitoring.
- Flexibility to work from home using virtual platforms.
- Requires extensive keyboarding on different devices.
- Requires working in shared open-concept office space, in a busy environment with frequent distractions.
Qualifications, Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or equivalent clinical graduate diploma.
- Registered with a recognized college that governs professional designation.
- Minimum 2 years clinical experience in community-based mental health for children, youth, and families.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the field of community-based mental health services, with experience working with children and youth.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation pertaining to child and family services/children’s mental health services.
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle with minimum $2,000,000 insurance liability.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience and proven ability to work and connect with children, youth and their families.
- Experience in program development and facilitation.
- Working knowledge of community resources and pertinent service providers would be an asset.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accountability.
Rebound Core Competencies
- Occupational Knowledge/Technology Orientation
Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community and the people we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, and diverse sexual and gender identities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Rebound provides accommodations, accessible formats, and communication supports for the interview upon request.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Master's Degree (Preferred)