The Gameplay Engineer is passionate about building and playing mobile RPG games. This person has a passion for identifying new forms of combat to create engaging game-play that drives player engagement. This individual should have high technical acumen with writing code and a high proficiency in both creative and technical spaces.
The Gameplay Engineer is responsible for implementing game-play content that goes directly into players hands, and evolves as players progress through the game. As part of a multidisciplinary team, this role will contribute to the creation of player experiences, taking existing components and combining them into new and exciting ways to create compelling game-play. This role requires expertise to comprehend then organize system complexity and convey it simply through documentation and presentation.
- Can streamline and improve the character and abilities content creation process.
- Creates and maintains design documentation for abilities systems and component effects.
- Contributes input on the game’s vision and helps champion that vision to team members.
- Works closely with QA on comprehensive test plans and fixing combat game-play related bugs.
- Understands and organizes complex systems to simplify and communicate to other departments.
- Collaborate with designers, animators, engineers, and FX artists to prototype and build new game-play.
- Identify areas to extend the creation pipeline, including but not limited to building new tools.
- identify and communicate technical problems/limitations and any potential solutions/tradeoffs to leadership.
- Work with production to schedule and estimate tasks, identify high risk items, prioritize dependencies and flag problems as they arise.
- Ensure all code created is robust, maintainable, and meets or exceeds established coding standards/conventions.
- Implementing ‘full stack’ code from Front End through the simulation layer up to the server / database level and back again.
- Practical application of computer sciences in-game development.
- 3-5 years experience in video game development in a game-play engineering or technical design capacity.
- Experience scripting with various game engines such as Unreal Engine, with an emphasis on the Unity engine and C#.
- Appreciation and understanding of a wide variety of RPG hero collector games in the mobile genre.
- Shipped a minimum of one title in a commercial capacity.
- Solid understanding of core game mechanics.
- Self-starter who works well within a creative team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Constructively takes and provides feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
Navigator Games is a successful Vancouver-based RPG Studio founded on the values of excellence, respect, ownership, collaboration and fun. If you are passionate about mobile gaming, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you!
At Navigator Games, we pride ourselves on creating a dynamic and supportive space for all. We are committed to promoting equal employment opportunities.
In response to the preventative measures to reduce risk of COVID-19, our office is currently 100% remote. We are hiring staff to work remotely temporarily who would then join our team in office when safe to do so.
This is a full time permanent position with benefits at our Vancouver Studio located downtown at 1220 - 1095 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 2M6. www.navigatorgames.ca
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Work from home opportunities
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
- engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- gaming: 3 years (Preferred)
- Unity: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)