Canada's Challenger Bank™
If you're looking for a workplace where employees are passionate about their work environment, then read on. What sets Equitable Bank apart from other companies is its culture. We celebrate and embrace the fabric of diversity, the employee engagement process and collectively take pride in our business successes. Our commitment to our customers, our partners and our employees creates a stimulating and exciting atmosphere that generates innovative products and outstanding service quality.
Equitable Bank is Canada's ninth largest independent Schedule I bank, serving Canadians coast to coast. It offers a diverse suite of residential lending, commercial lending and savings solutions, including high-interest savings products and GICs. Through its proven branchless approach and customer service focus, Equitable Bank has grown to approximately $31 billion in assets under management. In 2016, Equitable Bank launched a digital banking operation, EQ Bank, and introduced the EQ Bank Savings Plus Account. Equitable Bank currently employs over 750 employees across the country.
Within Equitable Bank's Core Lending business, Single Family Lending Services funds mortgages for owner-occupied and investment properties across Canada, while Commercial Lending Services provides mortgages on a variety of commercial properties on a national basis.Equitable's Securitization Financing business originates and securitizes insured residential mortgages under the Canada Mortgage and Housing ("CMHC") administered National Housing Act.Equitable Bank also offers a range of deposit products including short-term, long-term and Cashable GICs, available in non-registered or Tax Free Savings Account ("TFSA") across Canada. And it offers a High Interest Savings Account, available from authorized investment advisors through the FundServ network.
Equitable Bank is a growing Canadian financial services business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Equitable Group. It was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company.
Associate Manager, Portfolio Management
Credit & Risk Management (Commercial)
Manager, Commercial Credit
Purpose of Job
The Associate Manager, Portfolio Management will be a key member of the Commercial Credit team, reporting to the Manager, Commercial Credit, Portfolio Management. The incumbent will be responsible for providing day to day mentoring and guidance to team members while at the same time ensuring that the team operates efficiently and productively and ensuring prudent oversight of the BES portfolio of conventional mortgages secured by a variety of asset classes including mixed use, multi-family, office, industrial, and retail, among others.
Key Responsibilities include ensuring that credit risk is thoroughly assessed and within the Bank’s risk appetite and that the BES portfolio is comprehensively controlled and within approved guidelines. This is to be achieved via provision of resources required to complete ongoing loan monitoring, annual reviews renewals, and amendments/modifications.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s established policies and procedures with recommendations submitted for approval to management based on approved delegations of authority
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal colleagues as well as external contacts in order to provide optimal service to our clients
- Maintain production and service metrics to measure and support best-in-class turnaround times on completion of portfolio underwriting/renewals with a goal of exceeding customer service, accountability, and transparency targets
- Ensure that credit risk is thoroughly assessed and within the Bank’s risk appetite and the General Investment and Lending Policy by targeting the minimum completion ratio on annual reviews
- Support in the timely completion of regular reporting for senior levels of management, including but not limited to: maturities, annual review reporting, etc.
- Monitor pipeline work flow to ensure production and service metrics are met within prescribed timelines
- Provide overflow support to BES Credit by way of taking on new business underwriting assignments
- Provide valuable timely feedback on team member performance to management
- Strong leadership and coaching skills
- Post-secondary education (diploma/degree) in business or finance preferred
- Sound technical knowledge of commercial lending, financial statement analysis and factors affecting the Canadian commercial lending environment
- Minimum of 5 years’ commercial mortgage underwriting experience
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to Management/Senior Management in a clear, concise and professional manner
- Detail-oriented with a high level of integrity
- Demonstrated service excellence with their field
- Working knowledge of AML/ATF regulations and Corporate/Legal documentation for commercial real estate in multiple jurisdictions across Canada
- Proven ability to thrive in a constantly changing environment and to perform well in a high volume, high intensity environment
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to use MS Office (primarily word and excel)
- Bilingualism is an asset
Equitable Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.