ABOUT RENNIE COLLECTION & RENNIE MUSEUM
rennie collection is internationally renowned for the caliber of its 2,000+ contemporary artwork holdings and dedication and commitment to the 300+ artists in the collection, particularly the more than 50 collected in-depth. Established in 1974 by our founder, Bob Rennie, the collection is shared with the global community through a robust lending program and with our local community through exhibitions presented at rennie museum. After more than five years of restoration, the historic Wing Sang building in Vancouver’s Chinatown is now an award-winning home for the museum and the rennie head office.
We believe in the power of art to open social dialogue, to help us engage and connect with each other. We believe in the importance of nurturing and supporting creativity. We also believe everyone should have access to good art, which is why rennie museum exhibitions and public programming has always been offered at no charge. We are rooted in our community, as we build relationships far and connect people back to our home.
For more than 10 years, rennie museum has presented ambitious and compelling exhibitions by artists such as Mona Hatoum, Martin Creed, Rodney Graham, Ai Weiwei, Catherine Opie, Yoko Ono, and Kerry James Marshall. We are a small team proudly achieving big goals in our drive to represent the artists, our founder’s vision, and welcome those near and far.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
As our Operations Coordinator, you will serve two main functions: administrative support to the department and events coordination. You will contribute to the effective functioning of the department, supporting priorities established by the Director and organizational goals identified by our Founder. You will play an integral role in the success of a variety of events throughout the year, and take satisfaction in a job that gives back to our city through equitable access to arts and supporting worthwhile charitable endeavours as determined by leadership.
You thrive in a productive environment where no task is too great or too small. You excel at the required skills for the role and possess a strong desire and capacity to learn and grow. You enjoy the camaraderie of a small, tight art team, as well as the social and supportive opportunities of being a part of the large and highly successful rennie organization.
⮚ Securely opening and closing of the museum
⮚ Coordinating visitor services, including exhibition tour bookings, docent scheduling and supervision
⮚ Maintaining multiple department calendars for museum events and activities, trades/services/deliveries, internal department events and deadlines; digital and hardcopy filing; appointment bookings
⮚ Producing reports, summaries, and presentations
⮚ Organizing, ordering, and maintaining exhibition collateral
⮚ Assembling PR packages and reaching out to media about exhibitions
⮚ Overseeing mailing lists
⮚ Liaising with distributor, shipping, delivery, tracking, and distribution of exhibition collateral
⮚ Scheduling and supervising cleaners and gardeners for rennie museum space
⮚ Providing administrative assistance to the Director
⮚ Providing travel coordination for guests
⮚ Assisting with special projects as required
⮚ Assisting our Collection Registrar with organization and maintenance of an extensive art library, including data entry into library database
⮚ Supporting our Collection Registrar in aggregating collection statistics and artwork documentation from various sources
⮚ Able to work a Tuesday to Saturday schedule during exhibition runs (approx. seven months of the year), Monday to Friday schedule the remaining months; able to work occasional evenings for events
⮚ Planning and executing department events from conception to completion
⮚ Planning and executing of some additional rennie events
⮚ Acting as a central point of information and organization to other teams
- For more information, please visit: https://renniemuseum.org/
- Excellent time-management skills including scheduling and deadline management with proven ability to execute well under pressure
- Self-directed and proactive
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Ability to remain focused in a dynamic environment while managing priorities
- Strong written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate diplomatically
- Flexible and service-oriented approach; able to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Possess strong discretion and is comfortable working with confidential information
- Solid computer literacy, particularly with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email and other internet applications
- Knowledge of desktop publishing (InDesign, Photoshop), Mailchimp, WordPress
- Knowledge of database management a bonus
- Post-secondary degree or working knowledge in art history, fine art or other relevant discipline
- Related experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience with art research and writing skills
Please provide your resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only select individuals will be contacted.
Note: this is a Vancouver-based office position
Job Type: Full-time