Whissell is a long-standing family run business who is proudly dedicated to safety. With decades of industry experience, Whissell is the expert in deep underground utility construction and infrastructure. The Estimator will produce cost estimates for assigned tenders, evaluate bid specifications and drawings, ensure that information is correct and current, all of which is required to successfully bid and win tenders. Will follow up with sub-contractors to ensure that bids are received.
- Prepares and maintains status of plan reproduction
- Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors
- Prepares subcontractor bid packages, including transmitting addenda to subcontractors
- Ensures that Whissell has the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain competitive cost advantage
- Review and incorporate historical data into estimates
- Responsible for submitting bids and budgets by the bid deadline – Time management is critical
- Enters all relevant information into B2W estimating software
- Updates B2W and costing system with project data to keep costing current
- Prepares detailed and accurate cost estimates
- Conducts tender review meetings to review scope, productions, construction approach, competitive landscape, schedule and set mark-up
- Submits tender forms
- Produces bid package for awarded projects and distributes to Project Manager and Superintendent including labour and equipment budgets, material suppliers, subcontractors, tender specifications and contracts
- Exports budget from B2W for upload into field tracking and accounting systems
- Perform market analysis
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience estimating in the Heavy Civil Construction industry, specifically in Earthworks or Underground (Water and Sewer)
- PEng, CET is preferred
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, specifications, schedules and costing reports
- Thorough understanding of construction process, environmental regulations and safety practices
- Previous experience using B2W estimating software an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong time management skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong negotiating skills
Whissell provides a competitive compensation package including benefits with health, vision and dental coverage, along with employee development and training.
PLEASE NOTE: All Whissell employees are required to pass a Pre-Employment Drug & Alcohol Test and provide a valid Driver’s Abstract (no more than three months old) prior to starting work.
To apply, email your resume, visit www.whissell.ca/careers or fax to 403.236.8834, Attn: Human Resources.
Whissell Contracting Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
No agencies please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Estimating for Earthworks or Underground: 2 years (Required)
- Edmonton, AB (Required)
- P.Eng or CET (Preferred)
- English (Required)