On May 5, 2021, Toronto City Council approved the creation of the Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation (“TSHC”) to provide seniors with safe, well-maintained homes and improved living conditions, services and experiences. TSHC will interact with and support senior tenants in new ways, with the goal of ensuring seniors can age in place with dignity and in comfort. On June 1, 2022, all 83 Toronto Community Housing Corporation (“TCHC”) seniors’ buildings transitioned to be managed by the new Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation. The new corporation will continue to be focused on meeting the needs of senior tenants through the Integrated Service Model.
TCHC will continue to own the buildings and be responsible for major capital. TSHC will lease the buildings from TCHC and be responsible for minor capital and maintenance. TSHC will be entering into agreements for shared services where appropriate with TCHC and TSHC will be focused on tenant facing issues, including health and social supports.
Please be advised that this opportunity is for Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation and not Toronto Community Housing.
In addition to a great job opportunity to help Toronto's Seniors live with dignity and safety, Toronto Seniors Housing offers:
- Competitive Benefit Package
- Defined Benefit Pension plan with 100% employee matching
- Three weeks paid vacation and four personal days
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Membership discount
- Annual Tuition Reimbursement
The Pest Control Technician will be responsible for the administration of Pest Control service contracts as well as providing support services to Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation under the supervision of the Environmental Health Supervisor.
- Facilitate proper scheduling of treatment of units
- Monitor the compliance of contractors’ treatment of units to specifications standards
- Monitor chemicals regarding compliance with contract requirements and Pesticides Act
- Perform pest control services when required
- Inspect buildings and/or units to establish treatment plan and report specific problem areas
- Maintain records of units and/or buildings treated and pest occurrence investigations, both manually and in customized computer database
- Ensure contractor pest control technicians have current provincial licenses as per contract requirement
- Liaise with staff and service companies to resolve problems that may arise with service
- Monitor units in buildings to determine treatment as per provisions under the IPM principles
- Determine as per IPM process, whether to utilize chemical, mechanical or biological controls to treat, prevent, mitigate, and or eliminate pest infestations
- Prioritize various service requests in order of urgency and delegate services as needed
- Conduct sporadic and annual asbestos inspections to determine whether corrective action is required
- Investigate complaints, conduct inspections for all mould-related occurrences, write inspection reports and advise on remediation
- Maintain and ensure an organized hard-copy filing system
- Liaise with contractors, staff, tenants, tenant reps, Health Department Inspectors, Property Standard Officers, City Councilors (as requested), various outside agencies and city officials to ensure that pest problems and related conflicts are resolved amicably
- Maintain a non-bias opinion when reporting and documenting various levels of contractor and/or staff service deficiencies
- Provide minor maintenance service when dealing with minor maintenance deficiency repairs such as rodent proofing
- Perform various pest control service applications
- Create work orders, update computer work order upon completion of task
- Assist in the development of new methods of service delivery and provide input to service processes including scheduling and appropriate reporting as needed
- Assist in the promotion and selling of Pest Control/Environmental Services Program
- Inspect and investigate Environmental Health issues such as designated substances and provide appropriate support (e.g. monthly inspection of PCB storage space and update PCB logbook according to regulations, arrange for disposal of PCB’s, advise on various chemicals in relation to WHMIS Regulations)
- Provide support in termite control
- Investigate and report mosquito breeding locations
- Treat mosquito breeding locations with larvicides and/or arrange for treatment of catch-basins according to legal requirements.
- Attend tribunal in cases of pest control issues
- Investigate and resolve potential biological hazards such as pigeon droppings, bat harbourages and heavy mouse infestations
- Other duties as assigned
- Valid Ontario Structural Exterminators License
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in Pest Control or diploma/degree in related area
- Knowledge of The Pesticides Act; Statutes of Ontario and Regulations
- Knowledge of all pesticides (except Fumigants), their hazards, first aid procedures, and the tools used to apply them
- Ability to obtain licenses for Mosquito, Biting Flies and Termite Control
- Awareness of various designated substances in the workplace in relation to environmental health
- Demonstrated ability and comprehensive knowledge of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) principles, methodology and procedures
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Analytical and mathematical skills to compile information and determine thresholds
- Excellent organizational and self motivating skills to work independently
- Ability to maintain diplomacy and resolve situations when conflicts arise
- Ability to provide counsel and advise client staff and contractors
- Valid driver’s license with clean driver's abstract
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include one or more interviews and/or assessments and reference checks.
Candidates for unionized positions must score a minimum of 70% to pass any interview or assessment and be considered for the next stage of the recruitment process. Successful candidates will be determined based on score and where applicable, union seniority. Note: not all candidates who score 70% or higher will automatically proceed to the next stage of the recruitment process as this will be dependent on the number of candidates and number of available roles.
Please Note: TSHC has a mandatory vaccination policy wherein staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the exception of employees with approved accommodations.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $31.70 per hour
Work Location: In person