Chimo Animal Assisted Wellness and Learning Society (CAAWLS) is an innovative charitable organization that supports the development and implementation of Animal Assisted Interventions at a wide variety of facilities in Edmonton and the surrounding area, including schools and universities, centres for people with special needs, and seniors’ lodges. We offer enriching experiences, uniting people and animals to promote personal health and well-being.
CAAWLS has a unique and fun opportunity for a self-starter to join our team as Volunteer Coordinator. This role will be filled by one full-time contractor, for a maximum of 40 hours per week. This position requires flexibility and time management, as events take place at various times throughout the week and occasionally on the weekend. In addition, programming is busiest from September to June; therefore, hours in July and August cannot be guaranteed.
Reporting to the CAAWLS Board of Directors, the Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating and executing the general administration of CAAWLS programming. This involves planning and attending events, overseeing volunteer engagement and training, and liaising with public- and private-sector organizations as well as the general public. One of your core responsibilities will be to pursue proactive communication by achieving a 48-hour response rate with all stakeholders via e-mail and phone, particularly during daytime hours.
Other duties may include:
- monitoring the CAAWLS shared e-mail inbox and responding quickly to inquiries
- promptly inputting event and volunteer information in the CAAWLS bookings database
- creating contracts and invoices for programming clients
- organizing monthly testing of new volunteers and their animals
- in-person monitoring of existing programs
- recruiting new volunteers
- maintaining volunteer procedure manual as required
- assisting with fundraising activities and grant applications
- making timely social media posts and updating website content as required
- managing inventory of CAAWLS promotional materials
- accurately logging hours worked though the use of contractor management software
- reporting at monthly board meetings, including AGMs
Your strong interpersonal skills will enable you to promote a positive community profile for CAAWLS. You are highly organized, detail-oriented, and adept at prioritizing tasks and solving problems. You are also a team player, committed to open, professional communication with others. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required.
Completion of a postsecondary degree or diploma in volunteer management or a related field is preferred, as is past experience working with animals and nonprofits. Previous client service experience in other industries may be considered equivalent. Familiarity with board governance, volunteer management software such as Better Impact, and Animal Assisted Interventions are definite assets.
The successful candidate/candidates must have a valid Class 5 driver’s licence, a reliable vehicle and will undergo pre-employment criminal record and vulnerable sector checks. The wage range for this position is $19 to $22 per hour, dependent on qualifications. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please address your resumé and cover letter to Justin Jones, CAAWLS President. In your cover letter please outline how your skills and experience would best serve CAAWLS, making sure to address the following:
- general availability during the week, weekends and date when you can start
- wage expectation
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only candidates under further consideration will be contacted. For additional information visit www.caawls.org.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Salary: $19.00 to $22.00 /hour
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $19.00 to $22.00 /hour