A little bit about the role:
ORBCOMM Ottawa currently has an opening for an Embedded Developer in the Terminal Software team within the Embedded Systems department. The successful applicant will share in the responsibility of researching, evaluating, designing and implementing application software for mobile asset application services on ORBCOMM’s terminals. The incumbent in this position will:
- Analyze and prototype alternative service implementations providing advanced functionality for ORBCOMM mobile device customers.
- Design, develop, document and test reliable applications operating within our terminal and network infrastructure.
- Participate in customer trial and rollout planning.
We are looking for candidates with a passion for technology. You are able to envision solutions within the context of a whole-system customer perspective. Team players with expertise in the following categories should apply:
We are looking for those who are driven to work in a challenging, yet rewarding environment with an unwavering ability to deliver, get-the-job-done, and be an invaluable addition to our teams. Additionally;
- The successful candidate requires a diploma or degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent work experience in embedded software development environment
- Working knowledge of common development methodologies; design for test, rapid prototyping and requirements analysis, is required.
- Experience with embedded development in C++ with good understanding of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) on FreeRTOS, OpenWrt, MQX or similar is required.
- Familiarity with lightweight interpreted languages such as Lua, or Python is an asset.
- Experience with real-time operating systems like FreeRTOS or MQX is desirable.
- Knowledge of satellite, cellular, BlueTooth or WiFi network technology is an asset.
- Understanding of IP protocols including SMTP, DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, HTTP and familiarity with IP routing is asset.
- Familiarity with Automatic Vehicle Location, Heavy Equipment, Container Tracking or other M2M/IoT applications is an asset.
- Strong organizational and written communication skills, as well as effective interpersonal skills are an important asset in the success of this role. The ability to work effectively in a team environment is also important.
- Must be able to occasionally travel to US.
At ORBCOMM we hire for fit. We look for candidates that are serious about their careers and hold the same level of enthusiasm for building a world class company that we do.
A little bit about us:
ORBCOMM Inc. (Nasdaq: ORBC) is a leading global provider of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communication solutions and operates the only commercial satellite network dedicated to M2M. ORBCOMM’s unique combination of global satellite, cellular and dual-mode network connectivity, hardware, web reporting applications and software is the M2M industry’s most complete service offering. Our solutions are designed to remotely track, monitor, and control fixed and mobile assets in core vertical markets including transportation and distribution, heavy equipment, industrial fixed assets, oil and gas, maritime and government.
We are the largest satellite M2M player in the world; The industry standard for satellite M2M communications; The most versatile single source for satellite, cellular and dual-mode offerings; The innovative leader in M2M technologies; The M2M industry’s largest, most diverse technical team.
With nearly 20 years of innovation and expertise in M2M, ORBCOMM has more than 1.2 million subscribers with a diverse customer base including premier OEMs such as Caterpillar Inc., Doosan Infracore America, Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd., John Deere, Komatsu Ltd., and Volvo Construction Equipment, as well as end-to-end solutions customers such as Walmart, C&S Wholesale, Canadian National Railways, CR England, Hub Group, J.B. Hunt, Marten Transport, Swift Transportation, Target, Tropicana, and Tyson Foods. For more information, visit www.orbcomm.com.
At ORBCOMM, we believe that our people are our strength. Our success stems from our ability to attract and retain the best people who deliver a high level of performance and skill.
If you are looking for a significant career opportunity and the chance to work for an established, successful and high growth company, ORBCOMM is the ideal place for you.
We are committed to employment equity. ORBCOMM would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ORBCOMM welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time