Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
The Biotron provides excellence in research services including: providing access to various environmental environments, microscopy and image analysis, and environmental analysis to the Western community as well as local, national and international research and industry.
The Horticultural Technician works in collaboration to ensure that optimal conditions are in place for the research projects in the environmental chambers, in particular the growing of plants and rearing of insects, for use in research at the Biotron. The incumbent is responsible for monitoring chamber operation, conditions and controlling of insect pests. The Horticultural Technician carries out and ensures that routine maintenance is conducted in a timely and effective manner, ensures health and safety protocols are followed as well as issuing and maintaining access to lab users. The incumbent provides advice and guidance to all laboratory users regarding equipment and pest control measures, assists in the troubleshooting and resolution of equipment issues and ordering of supplies as required.
- 3 year Community College Horticultural Technician Diploma
- University Bachelor's Degree in Horticultural Science, Botany, Biology or related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 1 year of experience working in a greenhouse or other commercial growing facility with direct experience operating growth chamber software (such as Argus)
- Familiarity with growth chambers and greenhouse operations
- Knowledge of insect pests, containment and standard control measures
- Familiarity with and ability to identify plant species
- Knowledge of environmental control systems (such as Argus)
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to carry out basic preventative maintenance tasks in a laboratory environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to complete daily tasks, to take initiative and to follow through on work assignments
- Ability to follow formal processes and protocols with high attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to investigate defined issues, solicit input, and suggest remedies and alternative approaches that meet the needs of the situation
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures related to research preferred
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.