Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western's campus community.
The Steamfitter will perform skilled steamfitter work associated with steam/condensate distribution systems, hydronic heating/cooling systems, gas distribution systems and other related systems.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Ontario College of Trades Steamfitter Program (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE)).
- Certified and Registered Steamfitter as recognized by the Ontario College of Trades (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE)).
- Complete and maintain the Industrial Maintenance Technician (IMT) Gas Certificate as recognized by the Technical Standards and Safety Act (TSSA) as developed for Western University.
- Maintain a valid Ontario Drivers Licence.
- Maintain a current First Aid Certification including CPR.
- At least 5 years of construction and/or maintenance experience working as a Steamfitter in a large commercial, industrial or institutional setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the steamfitting trade
- In-depth understanding of tools, equipment, principles, materials, and terminology associated with the steamfitting trade
- Basic understanding of other positions within Facilities Management with which you interact
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current versions of all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards
- Ability to investigate, identify, analyze and document information in written or electronic form and resolve problems
- Ability to meet physical demands of the role including to lift and transport materials, bend, excavate, climb and reach repetitively
- Solid interpersonal skills to work well in a team environment as well as autonomously with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in confined spaces or in areas containing designated substances found within OH&S Act as required, with ability to perform tasks effectively in emergency situations
- Ability to interpret and work from electronic/written operation instruction sheets as well as mechanical electrical and geographical drawings/maps and produce quick-sketch working diagrams
- Comprehensive electronic, oral and written communication skills including ability to listen fully and respond courteously to instructions, questions and comments
- Dependable and co-operative disposition, with ability to establish a rapport with customer, leaders and peers
- Ability to interact with others in positive ways which develop mutual understanding, respect and productive relationships
- Organizational skills to order work materials, tools, and support staff in the shop and on the job site
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online reference job #24674 by midnight on March 31, 2022.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $33.59 per hour
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.