BUILD YOUR CAREER AT BLACK & MCDONALD
Black & McDonald is an integrated, multi trade service provider that safely delivers high quality construction, facilities management, and technical solutions. We are a family-owned and family-run company that employs thousands of highly skilled and talented professionals across North America. With nearly 100 years of diverse market experience, we are a forward thinking organization with a strong track record of delivering operational excellence and customer-focused solutions that stand the test of time.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald's Ottawa team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
This is a contract HSE Coordinator position located in Ottawa, and reports directly to the HSE Manager. Their primary focus is to oversee project sites to ensure compliance with company, client, and government policies, procedures, acts and regulations. The HSE Coordinator will ensure proper application and use of Black & McDonald's Health, Safety, and Environment Management System. This position will demonstrate leadership in order to drive safety as a core value.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide HS&E leadership, guidance, and support to assigned workplace(s)
- Assist and support the HSE Manager in the development and implementation of corporate policies and procedures, in accordance with Black & McDonald and regulatory requirements
- Conduct inspections of job sites, facilities, and equipment for compliance with general and specific safety standards; follow-up on any non-compliance issues and take appropriate action to remedy
- Conduct new hire, project and site specific orientations, and facilitate, and conduct HSE training
- Participate in incident investigations and reviews, audits of subcontractor safety management systems, loss control programs, and non-compliance issues, prepare reports and make recommendations for changes as necessary
- Share feedback, observations and reporting details related to regional HS&E achievements and opportunities with regional managers and people leaders
- Support modified duty programs, as required
- Ensure emergency response plans are in place and aligned with local regulatory, regional, divisional and corporate requirements
- Participate in regional and project planning as required
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and HSE practices
- Conduct and or support the annual Safety Management System Audit
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Degree, Diploma, or Certificate in:
Health & Safety Management
The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
Construction Safety Training (ASP), First Aid & CPR & any additional safety certifications
Train-the-Trainer or Adult Education Certificate
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 years of related work experience within the mechanical and/or electrical construction industry preferred.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Advanced knowledge and understanding of:
- A strong communicator (written & oral)
- Articulate, comfortable, and confident delivering to large audiences
- Organized, a self-starter and an inspirational leader of your team
- Training union and non-union staff
- Ability to facilitate programs and present to groups
- Working knowledge of Provincial, and Local safety and environmental regulations and programs
- Ability to obtain and hold secret level security clearance
Intermediate user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook)
- Valid Driver's License (with a clean abstract)
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If you are an existing Black & McDonald employee, please notify your supervisor of your interest and intent to apply before applying.