Job title :
PATIENT SAFETY INVESTIGATOR/PATIENT CARE QUALITY OFFICER
TERM SPECIFIC FULL TIME
Interior Health is looking for a Patient Safety Investigator / Patient Care Quality Officer to join us in Kelowna, BC! If you are interested in working with a supportive and high functioning team, this is the position for you!
About the Role:
Working in accordance with the established vision and values of the organization, reporting to the Manager, Patient Care Quality Office/Patient Safety Investigations, and in collaboration with other members of the Quality & Patient Safety team and operational staff, the Patient Safety Investigator/Patient Care Quality Officer promotes a culture of safety across the organization by providing leadership for Quality Reviews following serious patient safety events. An important focus is on learning from clinical practice, specifically healthcare system failures, through the comprehensive retrospective analysis of critical incidents occurring throughout the region. The Patient Safety Investigator actively participates and leads in the promotion of a culture of safety. The Patient Safety Investigator is also involved in various projects to promote quality and safety improvements in clinical practice across the Health Authority.
The Patient Care Quality Officer (PCQO) is a regulated role under the Patient Care Quality Review Board Act of BC (2008) (PCQRBA) and the Health Statues (Residents’ Bill of Rights) Amendment Act of BC (2009) (BOR) and operates in accordance with Interior Health’s (IH) complaint management philosophy, policy, and guidelines.
The PCQO is responsible for the intake, assessment, management, and resolution of highly confidential and sensitive matters concerning patient/client relations including complaints, concerns, and unmet needs. The PCQO assists patients/clients with access and navigation to meet complex healthcare needs; seeks to meet patient/client needs related to the resolution of complaints to the satisfaction of the complainant; and liaises with internal and external stakeholders as required, in order to facilitate consensus and negotiate agreements that result in the resolution of complaint issues. The PCQO also promotes positive patient/client, family, and organizational relations within IH.
This is a term specific full time position until December 10, 2020 or the return of incumbent.
Some of the Benefits of Joining Interior Health:
An attractive remuneration package in keeping with qualifications, experience and excellent career prospects awaits the right candidate. In addition to a competitive wage, we also offer a fantastic compensation package!
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Together, we create great workplaces.
Make a difference. Love your work. Apply today!
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, health, or a related profession is required. A Master’s degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience working in a large, multi-faceted health or social/human service organization is required.
- Professional clinical background and/or conflict resolution expertise is preferred.
- Training in patient safety investigation methods and quality improvement is preferred.
- Cultural safety training is preferred.
Demonstrates all LEADS Capabilities, in particular:
- Leads Self – self-awareness, demonstrates character
- Engages Others – communicates effectively
- Achieves Results – takes action to implement decisions, assesses & evaluates results
- Develops Coalitions – mobilizes knowledge, demonstrates a commitment to customers & service
- System Transformation – encourages and supports innovation, champions & orchestrates change
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, particularly with the written word, are required.
- Must have excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, judgment, and interpersonal skills.
- Integrity, dependability, honesty, initiative, tact, and high ethical standards are required.
- Experience in handling sensitive patient/family interactions with compassion and empathy is essential.
- Excellence in customer service.
- Must have basic computer navigation skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.