Reports To: Nurse Manager and Facility Manager
Works With: All employees and volunteers of the home
Shifts: 7:00am – 3:00pm, 3:00pm – 11:00pm, 11:00pm – 7:00am
30 hours biweekly
- Resident Centered Focus
- Communication (verbal/written)
- Energy & Enthusiasm
- Team Work
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Time Management
- Positive Attitude
- Leadership Abilities
- Compassion & Empathy
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience in geriatric care
- Able to perform all physical duties of the position
- Experience with eMAR or possess computer literacy for learning
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school and possess a current certificate for PSW or DSW designation.
- Performs and practices competently within legislative standards as set by applicable regulatory bodies.
- Participates in all aspects of resident care (refer to chart), while continually ensuring the safety of the residents.
- Safely and accurately administers medications and treatments (refer to chart) to residents while maintaining complete and accurate applicable documentation.
- Documents all aspects of resident care in a thorough and timely manner according to prescribed policy and procedure.
- Contributes to the evaluation of nursing care by comparing resident status to expected outcomes and goals so the Nurse Manager can modify the care plan as appropriate.
- Demonstrates accountability for his/her actions and decision making with respect to the provision of resident care.
- Identifies indicators of risk to resident health and report concerns to Nurse Manager.
- Assists in maintaining an environment to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual and psycho social needs of the residents.
- Recognizes resident’s needs for recreational and rehabilitation programs as appropriate and encourages and enables resident participation when possible.
- As a team leader, functions as a liaison between all members of the care team and the Nurse Manager, while promoting and encouraging all team members to respect the individuality of each resident and their independence.
- Monitors and provides guidance to Personal Support Workers and Housekeeping staff in the provision of nursing care within an assigned work area.
- Establishes and maintains a good rapport with resident’s family members and other people of importance to the residents and offers support as needed.
- Establishes and maintains a positive and harmonious relationship with all working members of the home.
- Contributes in keeping the nursing station a safe and orderly environment and ensures adequate supplies are available.
- Protects own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reports unsafe conditions immediately, and attends all relevant health and safety in-services as scheduled.
- Monitors, promotes and encourages all infection prevention and control policies and procedures with residents, staff and visitors and recognizes when advice, direction or implementation is required.
- Demonstrates self-awareness in realistic appraisal of personal practice, identifying strengths, weaknesses and seek ways to improve and grow for professional development.
- Maintains active membership in appropriate professional associations.
- Assists with serving of meals, nourishments and dietary supplements.
- Contributes to maintaining neatness within the home – resident’s suites, common areas, washrooms, storage areas, etc.
- Participates in other work related duties as assigned by the Nurse Manager or Facility Manager.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
- PSW/DSW: 1 year (Required)
- LTC/Retirement: 1 year (Required)