Ready to accelerate your evolution?
Take the fast lane to opportunity
At Mayk Ideas, we are always on the road to greater success, thanks to our grasp of key drivers and our attention to the processes that keep us running like a well-oiled machine. As we continue in this direction, we are seeking a VP Finance – a full-time role in Toronto or St. Jacob’s, Ontario – who can take the wheel and effectively direct and optimize our financial strategies. Reporting to the CEO & Chief Creative Officer, the person selected for this role will be an integral member of the senior management team, responsible for recording and maintaining all our finance, accounting and treasury functions. The VP Finance will also have the knowledge and experience necessary to effectively oversee leadership, management, budgeting, forecasting and business scenario planning.
You could be our driving force
Who are we? We are a growing marketing agency based in Toronto and that said, working here means having to do a bit of everything and a lot of something. Our clients are challenger firms/brands. We strive to create ground-breaking work that drives sales on every project, for every brand and every client. Whether the brand or client is big or small, they always know what to expect from our agency: innovative ideas, commitment, consistency and passion. This role can be based in Toronto or St. Jacob’s, ON.
- Develop and execute upon the organization’s financial management strategy, while providing leadership, direction and guidance to the Accounting Team
- Assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP-IFRS)
- Understand key drivers and trends; build complex operating models; create and present plans to senior management
- Build detailed financial models for weekly projections, monthly forecasts and semi-annual and annual budgets.
- Year-end financials and reporting
- Monitor and reconcile tax installments, remittances and refunds
- Bank and credit card reconciliation. Maintain systematic, accurate processing of all accounts payable, employee expense reports and credit card payments according to company terms and policies.
- Process weekly and monthly invoices, maintain general ledger accounts
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
- Manage the preparation of all financial and KPI reporting
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Collaborate with the IT team to ensure maximization of computer systems capabilities to ensure efficiency, accuracy of reporting, and reduction of non-value adding manual activities
- Review the financial viability of potential acquisitions.
- Ensure that regular finance process audits are completed and provide recommendations for improvement
- Develop relationships with other multi-disciplinary departments in carrying out this role.
- Assist with special cross functional projects as required (e.g. inventory process improvement initiatives, acquisition integrations, new business requirements, etc.).
1. Accounting/Financial Acumen
2. Technical Capacity
3. Problem Solving/Analysis
5. Customer Focus
6. Communication Proficiency
7. Results Driven
8. Strategic Thinking
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time and attention role that can be based in Toronto or St. Jacob’s, ON.
This position may require travel.
Required Education and Experience
1. CPA designation is required
2. Minimum 15 years’ experience in progressive roles with a minimum of 5 years managing a team
3. Experience within a high-growth organization
4. Management experience ideally within an organization that has both external audit and in-house financial management operations
5. ERP implementation experience is a definite asset
6. Knowledge of GAAP and IFRS
Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter that indicates if you are interested in full-time permanent and/or contract employment. In addition, please respond to the following questions in the body of your cover letter:
- Give us a two or three sentence summary about your academic and/or professional background.
- Tell us about a specific accomplishment from your background that explains how you fit with our candidate description above.
- Tell us about a special project you worked on and what your biggest accomplishment was.
- What experience and/or skill listed in the description do you think you currently lack proficiency in?
Please remember to submit your resume, cover letter, and include answers to the questions above. There is no word limit, but we would prefer that you limit your answers to one page. Use the following format as the subject line for your submission "[Your Name] – [Role Title] Application".
We look forward to meeting you!
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
- Extended Health Care
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Finance: 10 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19