Do you believe in work/life balance and managing yourself based on due dates, not timesheets?
Are you a positive person and always looking to create win-win opportunities?
Do you have fun in life, enjoy teaching and helping others around you?
If you are ok with keeping things the way it’s always been done and not challenging the norm, this role is NOT for you.
Still reading? Great, you will likely fit right in here.
UpSide Accounting exists to create wealth and freedom for creative professionals. When given the freedom to create they vastly improve their communities and make a larger impact on society as a whole. To do this we build creative accounting solutions utilizing state-of-the-art tech and employ virtual accounting pros to leverage them. In fact, Intuit recognized us as the Canadian runner-up in the 2016 Firm of The Future contest. We’re a little different….we’re not for everyone. We are also a small but mighty team and you can make a large difference here.
As a Senior Cloud Accountant, you will be:
- The clients’ first point of contact and will rely on your outstanding communication skills and a strong desire to make a difference. You'll be responsible for developing a strong, trusting relationship with each client and need to be confident in your ability to provide sound, proactive advice on issues that matter to them.
- Mentoring a small team of accounting pros in various roles, ensuring the quality of work is high and deadlines are met or exceeded. Through direct feedback, building a career enhancement plan and regular one-on-one reviews with each team member you will be responsible for not only personal development but your team’s development as well.
- With your team, providing monthly financial statements, as well as all compliance remittances for a Canadian small business. This data will provide the basis for you to facilitate quarterly/annual meetings in which you provide pro-active advisory services to assist with the growth of our clients.
- Contributing to the overall strategy and growth of the firm. Documenting workflows, recording short video responses to common questions and identifying opportunities to better serve our clients are a few examples.
- Grow with us and transition into other leadership roles as the opportunities arise
Our hiring process:
If this sounds like a match made in heaven for you then we would love to hear from you.
How to get started:
- Complete your application
- If selected, you will receive an email inviting you to record a one-way video interview. This can be completed using your webcam or smartphone.
- You will receive an invitation to schedule a one on one video interview with us
- The successful candidate will receive an offer & asked to complete a background check
- You have a minimum 3 years of Canadian public accounting experience including preparation of T1/T2/T3 tax returns & tax planning, GST/HST returns & issues, payroll returns and various reconciliations.
- You have a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation OR
- You have a Certified Professional Bookkeeper (CPB) designation
- You have Canadian experience at an accounting/bookkeeping firm working with dozens of clients
- You have experience (or even certified) with QuickBooks Online, Hubdoc, Receipt Bank/Dext and other 3rd party apps
- You have experience leading and are comfortable giving feedback/training to others
- You are comfortable making complex decisions and providing your advice to decision-makers
- You are always seeking a better way to do things and how technology can assist
- You communicate very well (both written and verbal) and with respect
- You can translate the story being told by financial statements to business owners cleary
- You like to-do lists, checkmarks and everything in its place.
- You enjoy cool new gadgets and apps. You have run out of space on your smartphone and had to keep only your most-used apps.
- You feel a sense of responsibility to see tasks through to completion.
- You like taking charge of the tasks you are responsible for. Sometimes this means being resourceful with the data and tools available.
- You have a strong internet connection - at least 18MBPS download and 4MBPS upload speeds
- You are interested in Blockchain or even own cryptocurrencies
- You have a creative side and like photography, writing, creating/editing videos or painting
- You listen to 90’s metal while you work
How we define success for your role:
We are results-based, which means we care about:
- A predetermined number of jobs closed each month
- Percentage of work items completed before & on the due date
- Percentage of overdue jobs at any given time
- Number of continuing education credits earned
- Number of continuing education credits your team has earned
- Your team’s feedback on your communication and leadership
- Your client’s feedback on your communication and leadership
- NOT timesheets, number of hours or at what times of the day you work
What is it like working at UpSide?
- Growth - We are constantly looking to improve. By holding regular lunch & learns and attending webinars on various topics we stay informed in a fast-paced world.
- Health & Wellness - We recognize everyone's needs are different. We provide a flexible spending account so that you are not out of pocket for your family’s medical expenses.
- Collaborative - We value everyone’s input because everyone is unique. We have an open and honest environment that is dependent on positivity.
- Remote - We are not your traditional 3 piece suit, 9-5 kind of firm. We work from home on our own schedule as long as deadlines are met. With this level of autonomy, we are going to have to really trust you, so we have built a multi-step video interview process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $52,356.00 per year
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Work from home
We have been a remote-only firm for a few years now, luckily COVID-19 did not have an impact on how we work.
- Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations?
- What is your level of proficiency in English?
- Are you a Canadian resident?
- QuickBooks Online (QBO): 2 years (required)
- Accounting: 3 years (required)