Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry provides outstanding education within a research-intensive, distributed learning environment where tomorrow’s physicians, dentists and health researchers and other scholars learn to be socially responsible leaders in the advancement of human health. The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is the largest Faculty of campus and employs over 2,000 part time and full time faculty and over 1,000 staff.
The eLearning Technology Specialist will be responsible for promoting the introduction and continuous improvement of the use of eLearning technology in courses, through collaborations with faculty members, staff, Western University service groups, and external partners within the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry Medical Education portfolio. The incumbent will research and identify best practices, and support faculty members in the design and re-design, development, and implementation of online, face-to-face and blended courses. The Specialist will strive to enhance opportunities for experiential learning and engagement utilizing multi-media technology and authoring tools to support and improve the design of courses, in alignment with teaching and learning theories. The incumbent will provide technical expertise and knowledge by coordinating projects, providing support for various equipment, and overseeing Learning Management Systems.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, Communications, Education, Instructional Design, or related field
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Communications, Education, Instructional Design, or related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience in an eLearning or instructional design role working with eLearning technologies
- Experience in a higher education institution implementing eLearning solutions is preferred
- Knowledge of eLearning principles, strategies and tools and of instructional design methods to deliver instructional programs and courses suited to an online learning environment
- Familiarity with the best practices in course design, development and evaluation
- Knowledge of computer system administration, including computer networks, operating systems and application software
- Expertise in web and graphic design software and video production and photography
- Ability to research, evaluate and advise on the viability of new technologies and innovations in e-learning
- Ability to adapt to change and master new technical and organization concepts and processes
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical and procedural documentation
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to apply creativity, innovation and resourcefulness to daily work
- Ability to apply critical thinking to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions or recommendations
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Ability to provide guidance to assist others in way that is positively received
- Computer skills with the ability to creatively use and integrate technology to improve quality and productivity
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office and software and applications related to e-learning and instructional design (such as Elentra, OWL, Camtasia, Captivate, Adobe Photoshop, Articulate 360, Cascade Content Management System)
- Negotiation and influencing skills to effectively advocate needs and maintain relationships
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Competency and confidence to influence diverse groups to support new initiatives
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.