Position: User Researcher
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Toronto, ON
Postmedia is Canada leading media publication company and has been at the forefront of the digital space, representing some of the country’s oldest and best known media brands. With a team of award-winning journalists, innovative product developers, and talented digital marketing professionals, we strive to bring engaging content to millions of people every day whenever, wherever and however they want it. This exceptional breadth of content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling digital solutions to effectively reach target audiences.
At Postmedia, we value open communication between our employees and managers. Our mission is to ensure that our employees have the abilities and aspirations to meet business requirements in alignment with our company values. To support the continuous growth of our Postmedia expansion, we are always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our fast growing team!
Research drives product design innovation. It’s the backbone of both design and product decisions. You’ll be part of a growing team of researchers investigating many areas around Postmedia’s digital products. You will be directly working with our users and prospective users through interviews and collaborative sessions. You will bring insights and context through the user journey and help build empathy around our users and how our product impacts their lives.
Together with a talented group of UX Designers, you’ll work with developers, strategists, and product owners to improve user experiences for our news media network sites and apps. Our titles include the National Post, The Toronto Sun, The Montreal Gazette, Driving.ca, the London Free Press and many more. You will also participate in the user experience of enterprise business systems including content management systems (CMS), client portals, and subscription services.
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with product teams to scope, design and execute design research.
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research initiatives.
- Recommend and lead the most appropriate methodologies for generating user insights, including participatory design, in-person and remote interviews, contextual inquires, user-initiated feedback tools, card-sorting, and usability studies.
- Plan, recruit, facilitate, synthesize, and communicate outcomes of design research sessions and other qualitative assessments.
- Produce and maintain archetypes, personas and user journeys as well as drive collaboration and research in the development of these documents
- Facilitate team decision-making and foster a user-centric approach by leading collaborative sessions such as empathy mapping, user story mapping, and user journey mapping.
- Work with the user research team to scale research operations and manage growing feedback panel database.
- Advocate user-centered design by coaching individuals and teams in how to conduct design research and build strong collaboration relationship with cross-functional teams such as data analytics, marketing, and the newsroom.
Who you are:
- 2 years work experience (or equivalent education or experience) in a user research position.
- Experience using current design and research platforms.
- Experience crafting user stories with a team.
- Experience facilitating user tests and synthesizing findings.
- Knowledge of usability and accessibility best practices and the ability to champion user-centered design.
- A strong communicator who contributes meaningfully to group work.
- Have a keen eye for detail while understanding how research fits into the bigger picture.
- Logical, inquisitive, organized, collaborative, and solutions-oriented.
- A portfolio demonstrating your ability to contribute to product designs and solve UX problems.
- Have a demonstrated project management view that helps see research projects finish on-time and on-budget.
- Comfortable with working remotely for many research engagements.
- Experience researching for mobile/tablet user interfaces.
- Familiarity with responsive/adaptive web design patterns.
- Experience working with Agile teams and iterative planning.
- Experience with testing platforms such as UsabilityHub and others.
- Experience with research recruitment platforms and methods.
- Experience with Atlassian platform (JIRA, Confluence, Trello)
Should you be interested in this opportunity please apply with a cover letter and resume.
Your portfolio must show applied knowledge of usability, user-centered design, and content strategy. Research documents must demonstrate research plans, personas and user journeys. Portfolio should also show strong capacity for both logical and creative thinking. Work must demonstrate your attention to detail.
Application Deadline: December 12, 2019
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Job Type: Full-time
- UX Research: 2 years (Preferred)