Valley Medical Laboratories is a private medical laboratory providing diagnostic services to the Okanagan Valley from Osoyoos to Lumby since 1969. With a reputation for providing timely, accurate results and excellent customer service, Valley Medical Laboratories employs over 150 team members across 14 locations. We are looking for a team member to join our growing organization.
A casual Medical Laboratory Assistant position is available in the South Okanagan Patient Service Centers - Penticton & Osoyoos. This is a day shift position providing coverage at all South Okanagan Patient Service Centers.
Current shift is scheduled Monday to Friday between the hours of 7:30am and 4:30pm.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
The job of a Medical Laboratory Assistant includes but is not limited to greeting the patient, data entry, phlebotomy, ECGs, and the preparation of samples for transport.
- Correctly identify and amend patient identification.
- Specimen collection and its requirements, i.e., labelling, handling, preparation, storage, packaging, unpacking, transporting and disposal.
- Successfully complete appropriate phlebotomy collections through use of venipuncture and micro collection techniques.
- Successfully complete ECGs in compliance to VML procedures.
- Provide accurate specimen collection instructions to patient.
- Acquire and adhere to proper documentation requirements for Chain of Custody procedures.
- Process specimens according to facility protocol.
- Proper use, maintenance, and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- Maintenance, cleaning, and stocking of laboratory supplies.
- Computer literacy required
- Effective time management skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently when require
- Successful completion of a recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant training program
- A valid B.C. Drivers License (required)
- Successful Criminal Record Check
- Ability to type 40 WPM
- Registration with BCSMLS or CSMLS
As mandated by the BC Ministry of Health, vaccination against COVID-19 is currently an employment requirement for employment at Valley Medical Laboratories.
Job Types: Casual, Part-time
- Employee assistance program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Supplemental pay types:
Valley Medical Laboratories is committed to providing a safe environment for our employees and the patients we serve. Strict COVID-19 precautions are in place.
Work Location: In person