At TallGrass, we are dedicated to upholding a set of core values that guide our pursuit of excellence in every facet of our operations. We are actively seeking a highly skilled and motivated Controller to oversee and manage our financial transactions and reporting. If you are a finance professional who shares our values and is ready to contribute to the success of our organization, we encourage you to apply for this key role.
TallGrass Core Values:
- Celebrate – We work hard, play hard and laugh hard.
- See the big picture – We see, understand and care about the whole process.
- Build community – We nurture our relationships and ourselves.
- Follow through – We honour the trust people place in us.
- Show gratitude – We respect and appreciate everyone's contribution.
- Do good – We care about the health of all people and our planet.
The Controller is responsible for overseeing and managing all financial transactions and reporting for the company. This includes full-cycle reporting, month and year-end processes, reconciliations, financial controls, cash flow management, payroll, accounts payable, budgeting, as well as financial and sales reports. Additionally, the Controller will be responsible for HR management, policies, insurance, leases, and financing. As an integral member of the TallGrass leadership team, the Controller will actively participate in the development and execution of key company-wide strategic goals and initiatives.
- Delivering precise and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports.
- Implementing accounting best practices, risk management, and financial controls to safeguard the integrity and security of TallGrass' financial operations.
- Ensuring the accounting team is well-trained, competent, and motivated.
- Overseeing vendor-related processes, including summaries, payments, charge-backs, and reconciliations.
- Managing the issuance of checks and providing necessary documentation.
- Conducting reconciliations for various accounts, including USD, CAD, credit cards, and GL accounts.
- Preparing and presenting financial statements, sales reports, and variance analyses.
- Overseeing prepaids, accruals, and amortization schedules.
- Managing recurring expenses, such as insurance, benefits, leases, and general expenses.
- Generating sales reports and calculating bonuses.
- Participating in monthly financial review meetings with the CFO and CEO
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with partners, vendors, and stakeholders.
- Managing relationships with insurance brokers, industrial brokers, property/building managers, and banks.
- Coordinating with foreign currency trading companies for cash management and hedging.
- Liaising with HR consultants on policies, the employee handbook, and various employee matters.
- Processing payroll, tax remittances, dividends, shareholder/company loans, and vendor-related financial issues.
- Conduct and lead review engagement, ensuring the thorough examination and assessment of financial statements and related documents.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and liaison with external auditors, facilitating effective communication and cooperation during review engagement processes.
- Participating in the budgetary process with senior management.
- Managing company assets, property, and related contracts.
- Managing various accounting processes, including sales reports, product development, and year-end preparations.
- Processing various government tax filings, including GST, PST, QST, HST
- Managing employee information, including new hire procedures, benefits, leaves, the employee handbook, and HR related matters.
- Processing payroll for all employees, contractors, and consultants
- Managing employee product purchases and the staff samples program.
- Processing WCB (Workers' Compensation Board) and WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board) claims and quarterly filings
To excel in this role, you should possess the following competencies and qualifications:
- CPA certification (ideally with 3+ years post-designation experience)
- Exceptional quantitative and analytical skills (including as an advanced Microsoft excel user).
- Proficiency in accounting software and systems (ideally with SAP Business One).
- Attention to detail and effective time management.
- Strong leadership abilities, including goal setting, budget management, and accurate reporting.
- High ethical standards and a strong sense of responsibility, adhering to rules, regulations, and laws.
- Excellent multitasking, delegation, and project prioritization skills.
- Ability to coach and develop the accounting team.
- Commitment to TallGrass' core values and dedication to TallGrass' leadership and vision beyond the accounting department.
How to Apply:
If you meet the qualifications and resonate with the mission and values of TallGrass, we encourage you to apply. Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines your relevant experience and demonstrates your alignment with our core values and mission. We look forward to reviewing your application and considering you for this vital role in our organization.
Job Type: Full-time