Health Sciences North (HSN) is a regional resource and referral centre for over 600,000 residents across northeastern Ontario. It features state-of-the-
art technology with over 3,900 employees, 800 volunteers and a medical, dental and midwifery complement of 260. HSN has become a Research and
Academic Health Science Centre affiliated with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and the Advanced Medical Research Institute of Canada.
Toll free / Sans frais www.hsnsudbury.ca
Posting #: 20-0033
Temporary Full-Time position (January 2020 to January 2021 with possibility
of extension or permanency)
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
A dynamic and growing health care environment awaits you in Sudbury Ontario: Canada’s
happiest city! Surrounded by provincial parks and over 200 lakes, Greater Sudbury has over
160,000 residents and is a rich mix of urban, suburban, rural and wilderness environments. Just
a one hour flight or four-hour drive from Toronto; here, you will experience the balance of a
challenging payroll career and a comfortable lifestyle, right in the heart of Northern Ontario’s
The Payroll Department at HSN is looking for an experienced payroll practitioner to join the team of
Payroll Administrators and Payroll Analysts to provide payroll services and support to HSN’s 3,800
employees and affiliated services throughout the North East. This is an exciting time to join the payroll
team as HSN is preparing to acquire a new payroll system that will enhance the payroll processes and
services provided to employees and partners. Join a team of highly dedicated payroll professionals
who work collaboratively to provide exemplary services to their clients.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of a two (2) year Diploma in a Business or
Accounting field, from an accredited college and a Certificate as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner
(PCP). We are seeking individuals with experience working in both union and non-union computerized
payroll systems. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with Meditech or a
payroll Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
If you enjoy working in a team environment, solving problems and working in the health care sector,
you are encouraged to view the full job description on the HSN Careers Website.
We offer competitive salary and vacation, extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan through
Interested applicants are asked to apply directly to posting #20-0033 by January 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
on the HSN Careers Website at hsnsudbury.ca/careers. External applicants can learn more about
Sudbury by viewing the Relocating to Sudbury link on our careers portal.
Date Posted: January 8, 2020
Posting #: 20-0033
Position: Payroll Administrator
Status: Temporary Full-Time (January 2020 to January 2021)
Site: Sudbury Outpatient Centre (SOC)
Provide administrative support to Payroll’s day-to-day activities for HSN.
Under the general direction of the Manager, Payroll.
1. Provide administration of multiple payroll and remittance accounts in compliance with legislated policies and
2. Calculate and provide retro-active payments, vacation payments, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
(WSIB) loans, and sub-plan calculations.
3. Process annual salary increases; process billings for leaves of absence (LOA) and retirement health and
4. Monitor, audit, and maintain all LOA’s in compliance with Collective Agreements and HSN policies.
5. Monitor and resolve problems in each payroll cycle and follow-up with Employees, Supervisors, Managers,
Accountants, and payroll personnel.
6. Investigate and respond to walk-in, telephone, and written inquiries from staff and public agencies.
7. Verify modified work programs, attendance data, sick hours, frozen sick bank, and verification reports.
8. Complete, reconcile, and submit payroll remittances to the Government and other agencies (e.g. Receiver
General, Minister of Finance, Family Responsibility Office (FRO), HSN Foundation and Recreation
Committee, Manulife, National Cancer Research Foundation (NCRF), Sunlife, CHUBB, United Way, WSIB,
9. Process and input data exceptions, new hires, transfers, terminations, and changes.
10. Administer all pension related financial data including top-ups, terminations, and LOA’s.
11. Reconcile year-end accounts with Receiver General, Employee Health Tax (EHT), and WSIB.
12. Assist Management and Information Technology (IT) in maintaining and modifying payroll attendance and
13. Enter and reconcile data into Meditech from third party databases (e.g. Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
(HOOPP), Manulife, and the Family Responsibility Office (FRO).
14. Issue Records of Employment (ROE’s), pay advices, and T4’s.
15. Administer and audit hospital parking charges and access.
16. Issue letters of experience and employment as required.
17. Audit payroll coding, adjustments, payouts, retro calculations, and withholdings.
18. Maintain payroll records and assist in the maintenance of personnel records.
19. Create and maintain written documentation to ensure compliance with legislation, HSN policies and
procedures, and applicable union contract.
20. Develop and deliver training programs (e.g. payroll coding) as required.
21. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN’s Strategic Plan; monitor and adjust to achieve goal
22. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety
legislation, standards and guidelines.
23. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
24. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
25. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a two (2) year Diploma in a Business or Accounting field, from an accredited college.
2. Certificate as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) is required.
3. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is required.
1. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in a Payroll department within a health care environment.
2. Experience working with both union and non-union payroll systems is required.
3. Experience working with computerized payroll systems is required.
4. Experience working with Meditech or a payroll Human Resources Information System (HRIS) is preferred.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of various legislative requirements.
2. Demonstrated excellent judgment and proven analytical skills.
3. Demonstrated training, experience or utilization of lean methodology for process improvement.
4. Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and continue
5. Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software, e.g. Word, Excel, Power
Point and Outlook and patient information systems.
6. Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
7. Demonstrated ability to manage routine correspondence, multiple tasks/projects, diversified workload and
rapidly changing priorities and challenging deadlines.
8. Demonstrated discretion and maturity when handling confidential information.
9. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
1. Successful Criminal Record check required.
2. Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
3. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
4. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
5. Demonstrated positive work record and excellent attendance record.
6. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
7. Ability to travel between local sites.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position on the basis
of their skill, ability, experience and qualifications as
identified in the resume and completed Application Form
submitted. The Hospital reserves the right to conduct a
formal interview where required.
Bilingualism is an Asset
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600 hours
on January 22, 2020 .