The Grocery Store Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the grocery store operations; will be the lead in financial management; planning and implementation of food safety standards, quality control of product and produce purchasing; marketing and promotion; implement personnel policy and health and safety procedures; hiring and supervision of staff; ensuring customer service excellence to achieve optimal grocery store sales and revenue targets.
Provides expertise, leadership and advice to the Grocery Store Board of Directors for the overall daily operations of the grocery.
- Provide strong management and leadership skills that demonstrate innovation, dedication and commitment with the goal of delivering a successful First Nation’s owned and operated grocery store
- Implement Grocery Store Business Plan with monitoring and continuously update the business plan
- Ensure emergency, security and all health & safety prevention measures are in place, implemented and monitored as required; including standard inspections for health and safety of food handling and storage
- Ensure building inspection is completed regularly i.e., fire inspection and emergency procedures are monitored; the staff are also trained and aware of the procedures
- Develop opening and closing store procedures including procedures for store key holders
- Ensure all equipment is operational and is maintained, such as computers, cash registers, debit machines; freezers and coolers are running and holding required temperatures and monitored daily
- Monitor the Janitorial Contractor to ensure the cleanliness of the interior of the store
- Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the store premises and the exterior of the property is up to standard; including debris hauling and snow removal.
- Work closely with vendors for merchandising and purchasing; verify supplier/vendor credit applications for new accounts
- Manage and monitor all financial and budgeting requirements for the grocery store operations; Monitor and assist with the bookkeeper with the required financial reporting, regulations and standards
- Ensure appropriate merchandise is listed in the inventory and priced accordingly to maximize sales and profit margins; implement flyer/promotional offerings and plan sufficiently for seasonal product demands
- Monitor and control labour, security and overhead costs
- Attends Grocery Store Board of Directors meetings as required; and present required reports
- Works flexible hours as necessary and is available for any Grocery Store emergencies
- Performs other related duties as required
- Provide effective leadership, organization and scheduling of employees and delegation of tasks
- Recruitment & selection (including CRC requirement), orientation, training and retention; manage benefits & pension programs;
- Develop a pool of qualified casual/on-call/supply workers
- Ensure compliance with the Employment Standards Act (ESA) and other legislative guidelines
- Manager and supervise employees, schedule and monitor work hours, etc., to ensure the effective and efficient daily store operations and exceptional customer service
- Develop an Employee Procedural Handbook to include uniform and dress code rules and other employment terms & conditions
- Ensure all Human Resources concerns are addressed in a timely manner
- Develop grocery store policies and procedures, ensure they are communicated, implemented, monitored and evaluated for recommended improvements; implement progressive discipline as necessary
- Is attentive and proactively responds to customer and employee needs in a timely manner
- Role model all behaviors in the delivery of great service and demonstrate enthusiasm to encourage team spirit resulting in superior customer relations for sales and operational duties
- Be cognizant of Loblaws Franchise Agreement and ensure it is implemented and monitored.
College Diploma in Business, Marketing, Financial Management and have retail management experience for managing a full-scale grocery store
Knowledge of the culture and customs of the Anishnaabe; fluency in Anishnabemowin is an asset, Valid Class G driver’s license, insurable with vehicle; and work flexible hours.
College Diploma in Business, Marketing, Financial Management and five (5) years retail management experience for managing a full-scale grocery store
Knowledge of the culture and customs of the Anishnaabe; fluency in Anishnabemowin is an asset or must be willing to learn, Valid Class G driver’s license, insurable with vehicle; and work flexible hours.
- It is mandatory for the successful candidate to submit a current (30 days) CRC; offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory CRC record. Interested applicants please submit a COVER LETTER, RESUME, THREE (3) CURRENT WRITTEN REFERENCES (Direct Supervisor/Manager) by October 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM to:
- Grocery Store Manager
Grocery Store Board of Directors
M’Chigeeng First Nation
P.O. Box 333, M’Chigeeng, ON P0P 1G0
LATE OR INCOMPLETE applications will not be considered.
Miigwetch for your interest, however only those selected for an Interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- grocery store management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Grocery: 5 years (Preferred)
- M'chigeeng, ON (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)