Job title :
ACQUIRED BRAIN INJURY (ABI) – LIFE SKILLS WORKER
KAMLOOPS S CENTRAL HEALTH
RELIEF FULL TIME
We are currently hiring a relief full time Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) - Life Skills Worker to join our team in Kamloops. We are seeking applicants who are personable and a team player with good communication skills and who possess at least one year’s experience with ABI.
Life Skills Workers play an important role in care. They plan, observe, monitor and report on clients’ progress and level of acceptance to services and support. They assist clients with activities associated with daily living and work to demonstrate and model appropriate behaviors related to problem solving and decision making.
Life Skills Workers provide structured support to help develop and maintain life skills related to:
- time management;
- money management, budgeting skills, how to access funds and other forms of available assistance;
- organization and interpersonal communication;
- personal care (e.g.: hygiene, routine);
- household management (e.g.: laundry, cleaning);
- menu planning, grocery shopping, meal preparation;
- using a telephone or computer;
- using a calendar or day planner to organize their day;
- community access (e.g.: public transportation)
Shifts of work are Monday to Friday, 08:00-16:00. This relief position will run until September 30, 2020 or return of the incumbent.
Interior Health fleet vehicles will be used occasionally and a personal vehicle is required for days when fleet vehicles are unavailable. Frequent travel is expected as this position is required to go to the clients’ home to assist with all ADLs.
This position offers the opportunity to truly make a difference in someone’s life by assisting them in reacquiring previous skills to ultimately gain some independence.
If you have a certificate relevant to the position, experience with acquired brain injury and are passionate about helping others succeed, apply today!
- Grade 12.
- Certificate in a field relevant to the position (such as Community Mental Health Certificate, Human Service Worker Certificate, Social Services Worker Certificate, etc.)
- One year of recent related experience working with ABI clients or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Food Safe Certificate.
- Current valid B.C. Driver’s License.
** Personal vehicle required.
**PLEASE SUBMIT COPIES OF YOUR EDUCATIONAL CERTIFICATE, FOOD SAFE CERTIFICATE AND DRIVERS LICENSE ALONG WITH YOUR RESUME.
Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of ABI issues and treatment
- Working knowledge of the principles of recovery following ABI
- Working knowledge of community, social and health resources
- Ability to demonstrate and assist client with development of health life skills
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict situations, and use non-violent crisis intervention techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Ability to instruct
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Conflict resolution skills
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment including proficiency in relevant computer applications